2M/Ham radio thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

YotaJosh

SILVER Star
Threads
Took the Amateur Radio Technician test earlier this month, and my license is finally active. My callsign is KG5JKA. :)

Nice! I'm looking to take mine next month. What did you use to study? I've got an app, but wasn't sure if I needed to get a book.

Awesome. Thanks.

So is the test pass/fail? How did you do (score wise)? I am intrigued enough to research. Using a cb is generally terrible unless everyone is running tuned up radios. I can remember being at the crawl and people at the end of the line can't talk to the front of the line.

Yes. Pass/fail. 35 questions. You can only miss 10 or 11. I only missed 2. I had seen all but 4 of the questions while doing my practice tests.

Josh, Have you invested in a radio ?

Yes. I have a handheld Baofeng UV-5R+. Super cheap on Amazon and works decent enough.

I have a question for all you 2M operators. I know it is taboo and illegal to use a HAM radio without a license, but is it a big deal to use a 2,5,8W handheld without a license? I do plan on getting one in the future but I have a trip coming up and the distance on a CB just doesn't cut it.

I'm not sure what a 2,5,8W radio is, but if you are describing the wattage, then that doesn't matter as much as the frequency the radio communicates on.

Do you mean a MURS radio (150–156 MHz)? Like a "race radio"? If so, you can operate those without a license. The downside is you can't talk over a repeater. Upside to having a 2M license is the repeater network. If you do your homework on the area you plan to visit, and program your radio with the repeater freq, you will get much, much better range.

I pulled the trigger on the Baofeng BF-F8HP and the programming cord from baofengtech.com due to Tony's @cyberfalco recommendation. It was about double the price of some of the ones on Amazon, but Baofeng Tech supposedly tests them prior to shipping and supports them in the event they are a lemon. I have been using the flash cards at hamstudy.org to hopefully learn enough to pass the test. Ready to get this thing and see if I can figure out how to program it. With a little luck, I might have it in time to be able to listen on the forest ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom