2LTE or 3L head??? (maybe this can be the last time) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There's a lot of conflicting info out there as to which is the better head replacement for the cracked 2LTE head (yes I've read through the threads)...
Is there a true general consensus or factual conclusion as to what is the better replacement or is it just a tomato/tomaato situation???
I just talked to one of the guys at TorFab here in Wa and they said that the do the 3L head and that they order from Abu-Dabi to get a factory head...
I'm not considering for a second anything other than OEM but daaamn, the Middle East??? Just a little confusing because reading through the threads there seems to be much closer options for a new head whatever route you go. I mean I'll do whatever I need to do it right (insert KZ swap comment here), I just don't want to order a 3L head from a million miles away when I could just get a 2nd gen 2LTE head from Canada or somethin...

Thanks in advance for time, comments, & intel.

Rick

My understanding is that BOTH the first generation 3L and 2LT(E) heads had cracking issues. And both the second generation 3L and 2LT(E) heads are much better. I don't think there is any real consensus that either of the second gen heads is better. Personally I went with the 2nd gen 2LTE one, as by that time Toyota would have known they had a major problem and hopefully would have done something to fix it. They should know that the 2LTE see's higher temps because of the turbo. The 2LTE one is more expensive....in THEORY this should be because something is better about it.

I bought mine plus the OEM 'valve grind kit' from Barry at JDMparts.ca in BC Canada. He was the one that highly recommended the 2LTE head over the 3L. He was convinced something was different. He's sold and installed many of these heads over the years, so I figured I'd take his advice. Many years of abuse later I've had no problems with it. And I abuse mine harder than anyone I think.

Well thank you very much Sir, that's some great intel and it makes perfect sense regarding the turbo. I'll be stripping down my top end today and will be crossing my fingers... I haven't had overheating but I have some suspect behavior (disappearing coolant, and carbon in the coolant). I need to do the timing and waterpump too so I'm figuring best thing to do for peace of mind will be to just rebuild the top end so I know what I have and know where I'm at. Thanks again for the intel, much appreciated!

Well thank you very much Sir, that's some great intel and it makes perfect sense regarding the turbo. I'll be stripping down my top end today and will be crossing my fingers... I haven't had overheating but I have some suspect behavior (disappearing coolant, and carbon in the coolant). I need to do the timing and waterpump too so I'm figuring best thing to do for peace of mind will be to just rebuild the top end so I know what I have and know where I'm at. Thanks again for the intel, much appreciated!

You may also have a headgasket problem. Normally these motors don't have headgasket problems, but if a new head was put on already and someone did a rushed/crappy job, there is still a chance. So don't order the new head until you open it up. Inspect the gasket and block deck/head very carefully as soon as you take it apart. Take lots of pictures.

My 2LTE had a new head already when it came from Japan. But they had done a bad job of it, and the gasket leaked in one spot under certain conditions. I had assumed it was a head problem and had already ordered a new head. Spent money I didn't need to....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom