2LT engines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dear all:
does anybody know what is the difference (if there is any) between 2LT engines with black head covers and silver head covers?

PS. Writing for a friend, 1995-HiLux (solid front axle) owner, who does not speak english, but he is kindly asking our community...

===
1984 BJ42, factory 5 spd, frame-off restored
1983 BJ45 P/UP, factory P/S, resto project

According to the info my friend gave to me:

-The 2LT with "silver" (shiny) cover equipped several vehicles, particularly the LCs, the Surfs etc till 1997. They had issues, paricularly with the cylinder heads.
-The 2LT with black cover equipped several vehicles, particularly the HILUXes, the HIACEs etc, after 1997. They are known to have a much better reputation.

Can one confirm this?

===
1984 BJ42, factory 5 spd, frame-off restored
1983 BJ45 P/UP, factory P/S, resto project

According to the info my friend gave to me:

-The 2LT with "silver" (shiny) cover equipped several vehicles, particularly the LCs, the Surfs etc till 1997. They had issues, paricularly with the cylinder heads.
-The 2LT with black cover equipped several vehicles, particularly the HILUXes, the HIACEs etc, after 1997. They are known to have a much better reputation.

Can one confirm this?

That is my understanding also. They received a number of other subtle updates too. Some run the CT9 turbo instead of CT20. The cross over pipe is cast aluminum. Thermostat housing different. Injector bodies bit different, injector pumps a bit different, oil cooler a bit different, etc. They still came in the electronic or mechanical injection versions. Mechanical injection ones are easier to maintain/repair.

I think they're the best of the 2LTE/2LT-II series to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom