2L-T Diesel bogging down (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1991 LJ70 with the 2L-T Diesel in it. I purchased it as non-running condition as it had been sitting for a good while. I dropped the fuel tank, cleaned it and put fresh diesel with some injector cleaner in it. I've also changed the fuel filter and air filter as they both were overdue to be changed. When I first start it when cold it runs and drives fine until it gets warm and I try to drive it. It will bog down and lose power then eventually die and puff out blue-ish smoke from the exhaust. Any idea what the next steps I should take are? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

How many klms?

That sounds very similar to what my BJ40 had been doing lately. Drives great on the first start, then I'd let it sit for a bit and drive it again same day and it would be sluggish.
I need to drop the tank and clean it out, but changing out the fuel filter helped mine considerably. I don't have an answer for you, but I'll be watching this thread to see what's discovered.

@DenaliJames , Is your engine a 2L-TE? If so, @hoc4197 had what sounds like a similar issue. His ECU got wet somehow, and was throwing some bad codes when he put it in drive It would shut down. It idled ok, IIRC. He got a new ECU from a scrap yard and cleaned up the boost sensor and it fixed his problem... maybe take a look at those things..

A couple more thoughts I can contribute:

Your symptoms are classic fuel starvation. I know you cleaned your tank and fuel filter, but another possible location that algae could be plugging up the system is under the spill control valve in the head of the injection pump. There are some very fine filter mesh elements in there. If algae washed into the injection pump somehow (or grew in it), these filters could be plugged.

Remove spill valve to get at these. I had to make a tool to remove mine when I resealed my pump a few years ago. Here is a picture of the filter mesh I'm talking about. More pictures can be found here: Resealed my rotary injection pump - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/resealed-my-rotary-injection-pump.826009/

Another thought, is you should pull your engine codes to see if anything is out of wack as far as the ECU is concerned. Jumper TE1 to E1 in your diagnostic box. Check engine light will blink out the codes with your key in the 'on' position. There is list of the codes on these forums...somewhere....

SAM_0099_zps51815416.jpg

SAM_0103_zpsf807be68.jpg

SAM_0105_zps123b317f.jpg

Hi guys! Sorry I’ve been swamped with work and haven’t been able to mess with it so I sent it off to a local trustworthy diesel shop and they found a clog in the pickup tube. I must’ve missed that when cleaning out the tank somehow. Got that cleared out and now it runs like a top. I appreciate all the replies and hope this helps someone in the future

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom