2L / 2LT engine swap question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks,

Hoping for general Toyota wisdom here. I'm contemplating rebuilding a 4WD Hiace which has a seized 2L motor. I can't find any 2L motors to swap in, but there are plenty of 2LT's. I kind of like the idea of the turbo - who wouldn't - but what is not going to fit here? Are the bell housings etc. the same? Will the engine mounts be the same? Any clues would help, thanks.

Edit - also more likely to get a 3L engine than a 2L, any thoughts on 2L - 3L swap would be appreciated.

Last edited:
The 2L-11, 3L, and 5L are very similar engines, and are almost all the same size. My understanding is that the 2L-ii and the 2LT are pretty much the same engine (turbo addition excepted). You would probably need to do some more research based on the donor VIN to be more sure. Early 3L heads had an overheating issue. There was a thin spot in the design and they cracked. I'm not familiar enough with the 3L to know if/when the design was fixed. If you can find one, a 5L swap would be a better choice, and probably the same amount of work.

Avoid the "E" versions of the L series engines, they all have EFI, which would require more work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom