2jze in an old bj70?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 22r finally died in my bj70 (1988) :confused:
I am attempting to get a 2jze-vvti none turbo motor complete with ECU, bell, clutch assembly for really good price
As you can all see I need all the help I can get
Do you all think it's doable???

yes its been done here in North Borneo, Malaysia.

However, you need to decide which transmission you wanna use.

Over here, they either use the stock automatic or stick shift (5-speed supra) to fit. The hardcore wheelers use a Toyota 4x4 manual transmission but i'm not sure which model exactly.

Here are a list of 4x4s that have the motor u mentioned here in N. Borneo:

1) BJ40
2) LJ70
3) Jeep CJ-5
4) Range Rover P38A
5) Land Cruiser HDJ101 (for real!)
6) Hilux (crew cab- LN106 model)
7) Land Cruiser LJ77 (4-door wagon)
8) Classic Cherokee
9) Classic Range Rover

& some other models of Land Cruiser i can't recall off the top of my head.

The 1JZ is even more popular as it is dead cheap (USD$500 for a used motor) another USD$400 for the automatic & USD$500 or USD$600 for the 5-speed stick (old supra).

2JZ cost USD$2,000 (used motor).

Downside to this engine is when wheeled hard, the internals don't last. Some of the BJ40s have them here and they compete in the annual Borneo Safari & Malaysian Rainforest Challenge.

For street use, you'll go 'fast & furious' and will be envied albeit in a 'strange' sense. :)

Kind Regards

mohamLC said:
My 22r finally died in my bj70 (1988)
I am attempting to get a 2jze-vvti none turbo motor complete with ECU, bell, clutch assembly for really good price
As you can all see I need all the help I can get
Do you all think it's doable???

Shouldnt yours be an RJ7O if it had the 22R?

Im not to familiar with the 2JZE-vvt but from memory its a 4cyl twin cam Supra motor.
Anyway I think a few owners on Outerlimits4X4 have done this swap into their LJ/RJ70.

I'll start next week and I'll keep you posted.......

Thanks

lloyd_lluvbullet said:
2JZ is 3.0L Twin-Turbo In-line 6.

I think you're right - 2JZ is inline 6. But I don't think they're all twin turbo necessarily. I thought the 2JZ-GTE was the twin turbo. I think with some tuning, you can get 600 hp out of the twin turbo, which might be a little scary in a swb cruiser.

2JZ-GE is non-turbo 3.0L. 2JZ-GTE is a twin turbo 3.0L. Both were designed primarily for top-end horespower, hence the "G" in the second half of the engine code. (unlike the 1FZ-FE which has the "F" in the second part...)

The 1JZ is the de-stroked version of the 2JZ at 2.5L designed to enter the under 3 liter racing classes in racing.

lloyd_lluvbullet said:
hey David,

the take-off wasn't great but when 2JZ hits optimal powerband, the cruiser ran like a 'supra' without the speed :rolleyes:

uuuuyy for sure .. !!! the 2JZ is a great engine .. but I thought not enought torque to move at low RPM a cruiser ..

hks3sgte said:
Gearing could probably help that a little bit. Or if it's a turbo version, just buy a turbo to spool in the lower RPM.

yes, a short stroke engine in an off-road Land Cruiser needs plenty of deep gearing to enjoy what power & torque available on the 2JZ-GTE.

dude .. !!!!!

DSC_2112small.JPG

Looks to me that it's an 89-95 or 90-95 'VN' Pickup or 4Runner.

Could be an early model Tacoma, I guess :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom