2H won't turn off! Aussie Troopy, 1980 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.4wdtoyotaowner.com
1980 Troopy, 2H normally aspirated. Key will come out of the ignition, but engine will not turn off.

I've had the ignition barrel assembly apart, truck is perfectly happy to keep running even with it all apart. The rear section of the key barrel, with the six electrical leads--I am thinking the problem is inside the round unit but I am hoping someone may shed some light on this--what, exactly, turns OFF the 2H diesel? The fuel pump?

Any help appreciated! Thank you!

Dave

On my 3B diesel, it is the fuel that is cut off, everything is mechanical so it's a mechanical action that disengages the fuel. There is a rod (on the side of the engine near the injector pump that can be pushed to manually turn off the engine. When the solenoid fails (which may be the issue in your case), I've seen landcruiser owners hook up a bicycle brake cable with a pull handle in the cab to pull the rod that shuts off the fuel.

I think you'll have EDIC (electric diesel injection control) there on that engine.

This "EDIC" incorporates a "motor, gearing, and arm" that move the lever on your injection pump to "overinject" for starting (key in "start" position), then to the "run position" for normal running (once your key returns to the "motor run" position), then to the "stop position" (to cut off the fuel) when you turn your key to "off".

And I think the fault is more likely to be within the "EDIC relay" or "EDIC motor" than within the ignition switch. (But it could still lie within the ignition switch.)

Another thing the EDIC does is turn off your motor should your oil pressure drop too low. And it does this via a pressure switch (which is not to be confused with the "oil gauge sender unit" of course).

:cheers:

Automatic or 5 speed?
Shut down is different on each, auto uses VSV, 5 speed uses EDIC... at least that's the way it works between my 87 HJ's (one of each)
GG

Thanks all for the replies. I'll be checking the EDIC pushrod today.

It's a 4-speed manual tranny. I don't have the FSM yet but am working to get one.

Dave

If it's got the EDIC system then check your grounds. The funky chicken likes poor grounds.

Battery to frame, engine block to frame, and body to frame.

If it's VSV controlled...then I'm with Japan 4x4.

I place my bet on EDIC relay ( coz the arm is moving to overinjection and run postion ) .. so I will start checking from it to the EDIC motor if it have all the V when it needs ..

UPDATE: It was the EDIC! I WD-40'd both end of the rod (EDIC side and pump side) and started nudging it (this with engine running but key out of barrel and in Off position. After a little bit, it suddenly moved one way, then the other, and it turned off.

For about fifteen more tries it took repeated nudges for anything to happen. It never quite did it on its own. However, when I finally took it for a spin to check on some other things, when I returned, I pulled the key and Presto! the engine turned off immediately. I guess the lube worked its magic. All looks good for now. Thank you all for your help!

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom