2H turbo oil consumption advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, don't post much but am often on here gleaning free advise, thanks for all those times.
Patient: 1987 HJ60 I bought off another member, estimated 400,000 to 450,000 kms (he'd replaced the instrument cluster). turboglide turbo, 2 1/2" exhaust. I did a lot of work to the truck, and now have it on the road and run 4 tanks of fuel thru her, 600 kms to tank, steady 22 miles to the gallon. Thought she was using oil and took almost 3 litres last night.
Pulled off the turbo lines, oil evidence in all lines even turbo to throttle body. Considerable amount of blow by which would account for some. I need to do a compression test, but don't have a diesel tester yet.
On start up cold, large amount of oil spray out the exhaust onto the floor. Not carbon, but wet oil drips. On startup with cold engine, oil pressure goes up over 100 psi and burys the needle. On the highway, 80 psi, 30 psi at idle. I was on here last night and found out turbo oil seal is rated for 60 psi and relief valve may be a problem for me.
What's my best course of action here? Should I go straight for the relief valve? If so, where is it located and where would be a good source for replacement? Are they available in different pressure settings? I'm in Southern Ontario. Also .read something about catch cans, I take it these are for blowby? No apparent play in the turbo either
I intend to do a compression test as soon as I can. Motor runs fine, lots of power, rough on cold startups, but vibrates at idle which is why I was going to initially do a compression test initially. Expected more than 22 mpg as well, but may improve yet.
I'm a cummins guy with a first generation so the high mileage didn't bother me in a diesel. How many miles can these engines manage before needing rework?
Thanks for any advise guys!

Should I go straight for the relief valve? If so, where is it located and where would be a good source for replacement?

At 80psi on the highway you're on the very upper range of the factory spec which is 36psi - 85psi.

The location of the pressure relief valve is shown in the image below.. its behind the marked bolt.. Terrain Tamer in Australia sell an aftermarket replacement.. its longer, more reliable. They are not available in different pressure settings.. but its not unheard of to cut the spring that holds it in place to change its operation..

There is a second pressure relief valve in the Oil Filter housing.. I've not heard of it failing though.

Ivlb8qc.jpg

Last edited:
At 80psi on the highway you're on the very upper range of the factory spec which is 36psi - 85psi.

The location of the pressure relief valve is shown in the image below.. its behind the marked bolt.. Terrain Tamer in Australia sell an aftermarket replacement.. its longer, more reliable. They are not available in different pressure settings.. but its not unheard of to cut the spring that holds it in place to change its operation..

There is a second pressure relief valve in the Oil Filter housing.. I've not heard of it failing though.

Ivlb8qc.jpg
Thanks for the locate.
I took it out today, and for the first 7 miles the gauge was buried, 100 psi+. Would this put oil only out the exhaust side of the bearing or both front and back? A lot of oil getting into the combustion chamber. Pulled the blow by hose off as well, at idle, almost blows my thumb off in five seconds. I think I may have a serious issue there. I need to do a comp check asap. Possible broken rings in a cylinder? Might be something to do with the vibration at idle.

Where has the crankcase breather hose that wuold normally route to the air intake been routed to now thats its been turboed?

That oil pressure is far too high.. definitely time to do the pressure relief valve change..

Where has the crankcase breather hose that wuold normally route to the air intake been routed to now thats its been turboed?

That oil pressure is far too high.. definitely time to do the pressure relief valve change..

Crankcase breather hose taps into the line from the air box to turbo intake.

Your blow by does seem high but I had a 2H with very similar blow by. I never did a compression test as I eventually was sunk with a cracked head. All I mean to say is that these toyota diesels seem to make a bunch of blow by in my experience especially when turbod. My 2H-T, 1hz-t and 1hdt all have or had similar feeling amounts of blow by.

I had a very similar oil issue when I first installed my turbo. Oil was pressuring past the seal and heading out the exhasut pipe. To the point it was nearly spraying. What I did was plumb a needle valve to adjust turbo oil pressure supply. I knocked it down to about 30-40psi if I recall at tubro oil inlet.

Your blow by does seem high but I had a 2H with very similar blow by. I never did a compression test as I eventually was sunk with a cracked head. All I mean to say is that these toyota diesels seem to make a bunch of blow by in my experience especially when turbod. My 2H-T, 1hz-t and 1hdt all have or had similar feeling amounts of blow by.

I had a very similar oil issue when I first installed my turbo. Oil was pressuring past the seal and heading out the exhasut pipe. To the point it was nearly spraying. What I did was plumb a needle valve to adjust turbo oil pressure supply. I knocked it down to about 30-40psi if I recall at tubro oil inlet.

Replaced the relief valve with one from an 86 I m restoring with 289000 kms. Pressure is better, 95 to 100 psi when cold on the road, 80 psi at 90 kms warm, 30psi idle. Doesn't bury the needle as before but still doesn't seem to be doing it's job. Should I take 1 coil off the spring as some suggest?
The old one was the longer aftermarket version from p.o. I guess. Shows signs of wear on one side only, leafing the front edge sharp. Not really happy to see that.
Considered pressure control to the turbo but don't want to go there yet.
013.JPG
013.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom