1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2H stalling, loss of power, sluggish overnight

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by 40Flipper, Jun 19, 2017.

1. 40Flipper

40Flipper The Bar Whisperer SILVER Star

Hey! I went through FAQ and used the search button and didnt come up with an answer so...

I took the HJ47 to a Fathers Day car show yesterday. Ran great there then I couldn't start it (in front of 300 people.) It stalls when I push the clutch in. Starting either fires right up or the starter has to whirl for a while before the engine idles. Its sluggish now and fights to get up to speed.

Feels like fuel isn't getting there. I replaced the fuel filters and the air filter over the winter. I can't get the sedimenter open to drain it as the bolt is stripped. Wondering if thats clogged and is creating some sort of vacuum issue? There is no smoke at all but maybe the diaphragm needs replacing?

I replaced the head and most everything under the hood this winter. It ran great until yesterday.

Any ideas? No leaks on the injector pump or primer plus fuel lines are clean.

2. ToyotaDyna

ToyotaDyna

Hi 40flipper,

It could be air in the fuel system, try bleeding the fuel filter and then the IP, do it a couple
    Of times and see does it help. There could be a pin hole somewhere and it is drawing in air when it is sitting for a while.

----

Would you like a Diesel LHD cruiser?
    Canarian LandCruiser Exports - Diesel • LHD

3. 40Flipper

I replaced the fuel filters but I'll probably check them again tomorrow

ToyotaDyna likes this.
  4. duncanrm

duncanrm

It certainly sounds like a fuel restriction or sucking air.. its a process of elimination starting with the things you last touched first.. if you have the dual filters then verifying O Rings etc.

The factory sedimenter should be deleted and replaced with one with a clear sight bowl.. in the short term it can just be bypassed by taking the two soft hoses of it and joining them together with a bit of bundy tube and some hose clamps.

The symptoms your describing do not point towards the diaphragm at all.

A length of clear hose at the pump inlet will help diagnose if you're struggling.. if the system primes up and runs OK for a while then gets progressively worse and stops then thats a good indication its a fuel restriction or air leak.

40Flipper and ToyotaDyna like this.
  5. hj 60

hj 60 JT1W0HJ6000960839

The sedimenter can have a pinhole leak, easy to clean when you remove the top:

[​IMG]

Most time when people have starting issues it is a pinhole leak, invisible but can be in hard and soft line so not easy to find.

[​IMG]

there is also a mesh filter before the fuel pump but mostly never clogged there:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    40Flipper likes this.
  6. ToyotaDyna

ToyotaDyna

Hi,

I read a post by mud member lostmarbles, and to find a small leak he had in the fuel system he pressurised his fuel tank with compressed air and he was able to locate a leak on one of the metal lines.

---

Would you like a Diesel, LHD Cruiser?
    Canarian LandCruiser Exports - Diesel • LHD

7. ozcrusier

ozcrusier

If the bolt is stripped on the water trap time to bypass with some hose to rule this out of pulling air into the system.

ToyotaDyna likes this.
  8. 40Flipper

I just ordered a new aftermarket fuel separator. I'll leave the old one for aesthetics. Also ordered new fuel filters. That should do it I hope. Will know next week. Thanks for the help and I'll keep the thread updated

ToyotaDyna likes this.