2H smoke (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2H turbo'd. Rebuilt about 20,000mi ago, was not involved with the rebuild so don't know any specifics.
Ok 2H, and other, guru's. After reading all that I could find on here about smoke, I am still not any further along. I had the injectors tested/rebuilt. I did a compression check all where between 400-420psi. It seems to get more smokey every day that I drive it at start up. Now, after startup and the big smoke goes away you can still see a light white smoke at 1100rpm idle. I had noticed a slow reduction of coolant until the other day when I noticed a significant drip and looks like it is coming from the water pump. So, I don't think there is a gasket leak? I did try running with the radiator cap off to see if I could see any air bubbles, but the level was right at the top and when I started the engine the coolant level went over the fill so I stopped that test. Maybe need to try this again after trying to get the coolant level a little lower first.
So, any ideas? I can't really identify any smells from the exhaust, but definitely does not seem to be any diesel smell anymore since after getting the injectors rebuilt. There might be a slight oil smell maybe?
So the only option I can think of is to remove the head and have a look. Maybe replace all the valve stem oil seals?
Is there any good head gaskets to get? I can't find anything specific in all the kits out there about the head gasket material. I keep reading about a metal (MLS?) head gasket. Probably need a whole gasket set.
Thanks.

Hi Taco, is your idle really at 1100?

I don't know about metal head gaskets, but when I had my engine rebuilt, they were insistent on OEM Toyota head gaskets.

As for smoke- how much? I've always had a significant haze in the rear view mirror which hasn't changed much, whether it was naturally aspirated, rebuilt injectors, or turbocharged.

If you have big white smoke at startup that points to problems with glow plugs.

Same with what Freewheel said on the smoke... I always have a significant amount of haze following behind me.

Where is the timing on your injection pump set ? Maybe you need to advance it a bit?

If you smoke black, and idle high, then the governor diaphragm has to be changed. I had a similar issue and it did away with some of the smoking. A good indication of it going bad or being bad is high idle.

If you smoke black, and idle high, then the governor diaphragm has to be changed. I had a similar issue and it did away with some of the smoking. A good indication of it going bad or being bad is high idle.
replaced that last year.
Start is usually at idle, once I get it started I up the idle to around 1000rpm from where it will climb by itself to 1150rpm while it is warming up.
I redid the glow plug wiring for the Wilson switch, used the front on fender relay and got a new wire and went direct to the bus bar.
Still waiting on a new water pump, so till then no more expiramenting.

something that has been nagging me through all of this is that the truck does not want to start without glowplugs heating first even when parked in a 60-65F temp garage. It did not have any problems starting in Georgia when I picked it up until my first overnight at temps below 32F. Maybe the super glow system was still kind of working at the time and when I started using the wilson switch more things went down hill from there?

Right. I have all my systems factory intact, and the glow system still works fine. I wouldn't be much help beyond that. They do chug along nicely though, these mighty 2H powered tractors.

something that has been nagging me through all of this is that the truck does not want to start without glowplugs heating first even when parked in a 60-65F temp garage.

compression test ..

Your comment about needing to glow to start a cold engine, even if the weather isn't cold has been the case with every 2H I've dealt with. Seems to be a characteristic of indirect-injection diesels.

Last edited:
I'll agree with that- One of my plugs burned out in August, and it was pretty warm, but I still had lots of smoke on morning startup until I replaced the plug.

Your comment about needing to glow to start a cold engine, even if the weather isn't cold has been the case with every 2H I've dealt with. Seems to be a characteristic of indirect-injection diesels.
ok, so the super glow must have been working some when I first got it

I don't have super glow and back in the day when my 2H was healthy I didn't need to glow it ( we are talking about 76F - 80F weather ) but down the road the more wear ( boost ) on it .. the more it need to be glow to start ..

White smoke glow plugs or timing. Blue smoke oil burning. Black smoke over fueling. The compression numbers are good and within tolerance how is the engine running with temp these days. Maybe consider a AFR gauge and sensor in the exhaust system to help get this engine running right. The 02 sensor placement in the exhaust plays a huge roll in getting the gauge working right so do your homework before drilling and welding. :)

I have a ARF installed. With the new rebuilt injectors and slight retard the ARF's seem a little more on the lean side for all conditions. I then set the fuel timing back to where it was and then got the water pump leak so will have to wait till I can get some time on the road again, hopefully tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom