2H rough starting issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi !

I've been daily driving my HJ60 for the past two months and as the temperature has been dropping the cold starts in the morning have been getting worse.
To give more detail the steering wheel shakes significantly and only stops shaking when I bring the revs up.
This morning it took three trys to keep the truck running after starting as it died the first three time.

What I have done and what I know
new filters - air and fuel
the glow plugs look new and the timer is working
the truck is not blowing a crazy amount of smoke and i only get black smoke at 3000 rpm under a lot of load.
gas mileage has been not as good as expected im getting about 450 k per tank
I have run sea foam through the truck a few time without success

maybe new injectors ? maybe its something else ?

please feel free to give any advise, I don't have access to many tools at the moment.

Cheers and thanks !

The first thing you would check is the glow system to ascertain that the glow system is working all 6 plugs.
What is your engine idling at? Do you turn the idle up when cold?
Is 450KLMS an accurate figure? You should be getting around 13l/100 klm or closer to 550klms to a tank.

The first thing you would check is the glow system to ascertain that the glow system is working all 6 plugs.
What is your engine idling at? Do you turn the idle up when cold?
Is 450KLMS an accurate figure? You should be getting around 13l/100 klm or closer to 550klms to a tank.

I'm confidant in the glow system working that being said ill put a volt meter to it this weekend,

idle is 500

turning up idle is a good idea ill add that to the weekend list

450 is with 33s compensated for so yes

Cheers and thanks man !

The truck is an auto though so that may be the lost in mileage but 100 seems high for a loss

Also I have no idea what the odometer is actually at as it was rolled back by the PO.

Does it the engine stop suddenly or does it cough and splutter to an eventual stop? If ifs stopping cleanly its likely that its taking a while for oil pressure to come up and consequently the EDIC is killing the engine.. not unusual on high klm 2Hs.

500 is too low. For a cold start you should use the hand throttle and let it idle at 1000

How are you working out your fuel consumption? 450 km until the gauge is on empty or the light comes on? If so it's quite likely inaccurate, the best way you'll get it is filling up, reset odometer and then when you fill again, get the fuel added and the corrected milage and work it out that way

How are you working out your fuel consumption? 450 km until the gauge is on empty or the light comes on? If so it's quite likely inaccurate, the best way you'll get it is filling up, reset odometer and then when you fill again, get the fuel added and the corrected milage and work it out that way
ya I'm getting my measurement based on how much the tank takes on fill up and the odometer

So had some time today so I turned the idle up to 800 before starting and it ran perfectly this is at -12 so that's pretty rad.

next problem is the fuel consumption....

But the initial issue is sorted for now so thank you very much everyone !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom