2h rebuild advice needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got my dads old 60 about 10 years ago .i put a well used 2h and also a turbo on that an I have been running it for 8 Years now. It’s still a good runner but, I also have the original 2h sitting there. I wanna rebuild it to run my turbo tuff as possible! What can I do to it as in larger pistons? cam? Head work? What’s the best things to do with it to help it be capable of running more boost?
I’ll be running a intercooler on the new engine as well.
Any advice would be appreciated

Alfin Pistons with the reinforced steel ring land insert.
Turbocharged 2H's eat the OEM unreinforced piston ring lands.

2h’s don’t have oil squirters for the pistons like the 12ht’s do, but the bosses over the oil passages are there and can be drilled and tapped for 12ht squirters.

The squirters are in the block yes the 12ht head will fit the 2h block as they are the same.

So when my 2H gives uptake ghost, I can turn it into a 12HT? All I gotta do is...

Here's a reply I had written for another post...little more info

I had done a bunch of research on this topic over the past few years, and found a few things that might be of interest. Full disclosure: (1) I'm a mechanical engineer by trade, and (2) I did not have 3 2H engines in my possession, just the 2F that's in my rig - therefore I elected to go the 1HZ route, and have one on a pallet in my garage. With that said, here's what I learned...
  • it appears that the later 2H blocks have a boss that can be drilled and tapped for the piston oil squirters as they sit above an oil passage (there are claims that the 2H blocks with the bosses are the same as the 2HT block - YMMV). Further, it appears that the 12HT oil squirters are suitable for this mod
  • pistons can be sourced that have the alfin inserts and a thicker crown which will allow the ring lands and piston tops to hold up to the turbo pressures
  • 2Hs (and 1HZs) are indirect injection engines, meaning that the head has a couple of design elements that limit what can be done with turbocharging. (1) the IDI design has pre-cups, which are prone to cracking and can drop into the cylinder should they come apart, and (2) the combustion cycle starts in the head, not the cylinder like a DI engine which puts a ton of heat into the cylinder head.
  • Handling the high heat load in the head appears to be one of the two challenges limiting the 2H (or other IDIs) top end with respect to turbocharging - the other being fueling from the stock IP. Based on what I read, the DI engines tend to have IPs that can be wound up more than the IDI IPs
  • For heat load on the head, the appear to be three paths to pursue. Intake air temp post turbo can be brought down via intercooling. The cooling system can be improved with high capacity radiator, and finally, getting hot exhaust gasses away from the head ASAP via a large diameter exhaust system.
OK, that's all I've got. I came very close to going the 2H route, but ultimately decided on the 1HZ primarily due to the fact it's been in production since 1995 to present day, hence parts availability is pretty good. Also, did a safari in Africa a few years ago in 1HZ powered LCs and was really impressed.

That all makes sense and jives with what I've read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom