2H low oil pressure, new valve, now high oil pressure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks,

Was having an issue last few months where each cold start, oil pressure would take a solid 10 seconds or more to build. Once it rose, it steadied out at the second tick mark which I measured a while back to be right around 55psi. Great. Well, I wanted to fix the long oil pressure build times and hypothesized that my issue may have been a stuck oil pressure relief valve. Bought the longer valve and installed yesterday. Well, during this morning's cold start I got oil pressure indications almost immediately after the engine started, but oil pressure gradually rose all the way to the very last mark next to the "H". I drove the truck around for 10-15 minutes and even after the engine was at operating temperature, the need barely budged off of the "H" mark at idle.

I've scoured the forums for a solution but am at a loss. Any ideas? 2H 1982 HJ47 from Maryland. Cheers.

Gauges are so variable in their presentation, can you measure it again with a mechanical test gauge?

Was a new spring installed, or was the old one reused?

Also.. its not unusual to snip a tiny bit of the spring off to vary the oil pressure a bit.. but not in the absence of test gauge to get an accurate pressure reading.

Ok, cheers. I'll break out the mechanical gauge today and get a reading. I reused the old spring. I guess cutting off some of the spring would lessen the force required to open the valve, thus relieving pressure at a lower PSI... is this correct?

Hooked up the mechanical gauge and lo-and-behold I got 15 PSI at idle normal 40-60 at speed. I'm just puzzled as to how my oil pressure sender thing just happened to fail at the same time I had replaced the relief valve... huh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom