2H: low compression (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2H with 450,000 k on it. It lost all power and has very low compression on the 6th cyclinder. What should I look for when I take the head off? I am hoping to be able to replace the gasket without having to do too much else to the motor. The guy at the dealership sounded pretty confident when I told him what was going on that it wouldn't need more than a head gasket. Hoping not to have to replace the rings or anything.

Don't know where you live.... But if its Canada I would stay away from the dealership. Canadian Toyota dealerships have been out of the diesel thing sooo long I would not take a diesel anything to them, Maybe just a hybrid.

But if your in Oz I guess its OK to use the dealer....

IMOP anyhow.

At 450k you might be due for an overhual.... but maybe you luck out and its just a valve problem.. I dunno

At 450000klms I would be looking at an overhaul. I dont want to sound pessimistic but I think at those klms it would be talking up false hopes to agree a head gasket will cure it.
There is a slight chance but not much.

If the head is still on it you could check the other 5 cyl for compression.

An oz dealer would just want to fit a new motor. If the motor was out of production they would advise you to take it elsewhere:D

its all about location

I'm actually here in the states, but being in Northern Michigan I'm only 60 miles from Canada. Mostly just called them for thier opinion on it and pricing the parts. Should the rest of the cyclinders be in the factory spec range for compression? A headgaskets only $78 Canadian, my times cheap, so if it runs for another year b4 I do an overhaul that would be well worth it.

are you the other half of the original moondog??? just curious :)

I'm no expert at all with these engine... but I would do like Rosco mentioned and do a quick compression check on the rest of the engine. See what the specs are.

Then open it up and have a look.

Download the manuals. I'm not sure who has them right now. But www.birfield.com used to host the manuals.

G-luck

I'm actually here in the states, but being in Northern Michigan I'm only 60 miles from Canada. Mostly just called them for thier opinion on it and pricing the parts. Should the rest of the cyclinders be in the factory spec range for compression? A headgaskets only $78 Canadian, my times cheap, so if it runs for another year b4 I do an overhaul that would be well worth it.

They dont have to be in the factory spec range for the engine to run.
As with all engines, even compression is best

Once the compression gets low they lose power when you need it most ,on hills ect and you find yourself dropping back to lower gears and marvel at how 18 wheelers can fly over hills you cant;)
Low compression also means hard starting which leads to flat batteries and clouds of smoke.
If you dont have a diesel compression gauge,put the new head gasket on and find out that way.
Whatever happens the ,the cost of $78 gasket will be returned in knowledge;)

the Bliss-side Team

Yeah Moondog's my sister, at first we were both on the same name. But everyone seemed to feel we each needed a name, which does lessen confusion. She will be driving the HJ-60, its nice and clean. I will be taking the BJ-60 (driving it some after gutting the carpet and ceiling and power washing out the mouse nests) but the BJ-60 I believe is destined to turned into a 4Cruiser, Landrunner using the frame and body from my 1988 4Runner. I was gonna sell it, get a FJ-60. But damn I love that 4Runner. Wanted one since I was 5, the second year they were made. Remember staring out the car windows at them, not knowing what they were. Really thought the tri-angular part of the back-side window was cool when I was 5. Didn't know about their EFI, 5 speeds or gear driven transfercases. Just thought they looked awesome. Plus the 3B with a turbo will really get the 4Runner moving pretty quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom