2H Injector Return Line.. rebuild.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Maybe I'm overthinking this.

I'm annoyed that I cant remove a single injector or replace the injector return line crush washer on the 2H without having to remove the entire return line and in the process disturb the other 5 injector lines.

I note the OM617 Merc Diesels have flexible lines between each injector for the return..

If I was use to the parts off an H engine I could fab up a pretty neat little system that would allow me to disturb a single line/injector at a time.. the actual part that clamps down onto the injector for the return appears to be identical to the 2H. I would be introducing more failure points but the line and injectors would subsequently be a lot easier to maintain.. no more concerns with bending the return line when removing it either..

Any thoughts? (dumb!, great idea!, why bother!? etc)..

How often do you need to replace a washer?

How often do you need to replace a washer?

Not very often :)

I had to do one on my son's HJ60 on the weekend.. was just annoyed I had to disturb all 6 injector lines to do it.

Maybe other diesels are different but in 3 1HZ's and a 12HT, I havent had to do a single one. If I do and have to pull off the return line, I might just do all 6 washers and not worry about it again for the next decade

Maybe I'm overthinking this.

I'm annoyed that I cant remove a single injector or replace the injector return line crush washer on the 2H without having to remove the entire return line and in the process disturb the other 5 injector lines.

I note the OM617 Merc Diesels have flexible lines between each injector for the return..

If I was use to the parts off an H engine I could fab up a pretty neat little system that would allow me to disturb a single line/injector at a time.. the actual part that clamps down onto the injector for the return appears to be identical to the 2H. I would be introducing more failure points but the line and injectors would subsequently be a lot easier to maintain.. no more concerns with bending the return line when removing it either..

Any thoughts? (dumb!, great idea!, why bother!? etc)..

View attachment 1976147

View attachment 1976148
I think it is a good idea. Pita design to have remove the whole line to access a single injector. Which is at times necessary. Did you bronze weld or silver solder it together with oxy/acy?
At least not much pressure on that side.
Other hand , once injectors are set and all good, don't have to touch them for awhile.

Here is another option if someone damages or upgrades their return line.

That is similar to the return setup on the Mercedes OM617 I had, and on the various VW TDI's. The soft return lines are easy to service, but do wear out and start leaking.

Yeah , the old mercs are closely related. It is just nice to know that options besides sourcing another 6 injector one piece return is available.
Pita for the one piece if you just need to access one injector. But once set up can forget for 100000kms.

I have my passed Dad's 1984 230e, not diesel though. Much prefer the tojo to work on. Have to lift the whole m102 petrol engine off the chassis to replace the starter on the merc..a bigger pita. But it is like driving a smooth comfy couch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom