2H Injector Pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A quick question. Are the automatic and five speed injector pumps the same from a 2H, or do they differ? If they differ how so? Cheers.

A quick question. Are the automatic and five speed injector pumps the same from a 2H, or do they differ? If they differ how so? Cheers.

They have a different part number, but I do not know the exact nature of the differences. The pumps are well described in the FSM though.
cheers,
Jan

The Automatic Injection pump does not have an EDIC. The rear of the injection pump is different, beyond that I do not know.

The Automatic Injection pump does not have an EDIC. The rear of the injection pump is different, beyond that I do not know.

Probaply has different governor...

Probaply has different governor...

Yeah. I understand the automatic got a mechanical governor instead of the pneumatic (diaphragm) one. And that this change was necessary to obtain "kick down" (whereby planting your foot on the accelerator makes the transmission change-down accompanied by a significant surge in power).

:beer:

Are you looking for an automatic IP for a 2H? If you are....i have one available. Its on the auto 2H i just removed 2 months ago. Oh, and with an auto IP you would need a different throttle body assembly as they work by vacuum not a cable.

Phil

As I understand it, the EDIC: starts (over injection), stops, and runs the engine, and also cuts it off in case of low oil pressure.

But how does the auto pump achieve this? Or am I wrong about the EDIC function.

...Oh, and with an auto IP you would need a different throttle body assembly as they work by vacuum not a cable. ..Phil

:hmm:

The IP used with a manual transmission definitiely works off vacuum because it has a pneumatic diaphragm Phil. (So I'm confused.)

Here are some pics (from the EPC) of the two different types of 2H governors:

2HAutoGovernor.jpg

2HManualGovernor.jpg

:beer:
2HAutoGovernor.jpg
2HManualGovernor.jpg

And here are the pics of the different throttle bodies:

ThrottleBodyAuto.jpg

ThrottleBodyManual.jpg

As I understand it, the EDIC: starts (over injection), stops, and runs the engine, and also cuts it off in case of low oil pressure.

But how does the auto pump achieve this? Or am I wrong about the EDIC function.

You're understanding of the EDIC system is the same as mine Vince.

And I'm not really sure how the "automatic transmissioned version" of the 2H achieves the same things either.
............. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have an EDIC motor (aka Fuel Control Motor).

So I'm waiting for an explanation too..

:popcorn:
ThrottleBodyAuto.jpg
ThrottleBodyManual.jpg

That throttle body from autotrans looks just like one from 12ht... So, probaply the governors share same parts too...

Just reviving this thread, as I think it has an interesting and unanswered question:
How do the 2H-auto and 12HT pumps perform the same tasks as the EDIC?

While checking out the parts on toyodiy.com, I came across an 'Over-injection magnet', which may explain the Start and Run functions. But how does that work?
And what about Stop and Low Pressure Stop?

Does anyone happen to know?

Just reviving this thread, as I think it has an interesting and unanswered question:
How do the 2H-auto and 12HT pumps perform the same tasks as the EDIC?

While checking out the parts on toyodiy.com, I came across an 'Over-injection magnet', which may explain the Start and Run functions. But how does that work?
And what about Stop and Low Pressure Stop?

Does anyone happen to know?

There is no low pressure stop in the 12ht/2h autotrans IP thats for sure. afaik stop is archieved by closing the butterfly valve in the throttle body and cutting air to engine...

about the start/run and over-injection magnet, its most likely a magnetic valve that somehow routes vacuum/pressure to the governor therefore increasing fuel amount injected, atleast thats what I'm guessing since there are no electric wires coming to IP itself...

I have the auto-trans specific injector pump in my truck though I'm running an H-41.

This pump has no EDIC system - instead there is a vacuum line coming off the alternator pump that runs to the intake plenum. In that line is a VSV (vacuum switching valve). After the VSV, the vacuum line splits into two, a hose going to each side of the intake plenum. The engine is shut down (or activated) by controlling the intake plenum's butterfly, and therefore the air supply, instead of controlling the fuel as on an EDIC-equipped rig. Just a single wire to turn it on or off - I like its simplicity, though the auto pump does shove more fuel into the engine than the manual one does, so my fuel economy is slightly worse than it would be otherwise.

How about that. Thanks for the info, guys.
All this time I thought I too had a low pressure safety switch. Good to know, means it's up to me to look out for low pressure.
I always wondered why there was a line going from block to the alternator and then all the way round to the intake side.

About the low pressure switch: the auto trans version of the 2H used a glow timer box to operate the glowing circuit, and like the fuel control relay associated to the EDIC system in a manual transmission truck, it is wired into the low pressure oil switch on the engine and serves the same function of shutting the engine off (via the VSV) if there is a sudden loss of oil pressure.

On my truck I went with a manual glow control system using an early HJ60 series ignition barrel and dash-mounted glow controller instead of using a glow timer module. That left the problem of dealing with the low oil pressure switch. I think it is pretty valuable to have that in place. The solution I found, and I'm sure there are others out there, is a product made in Australia called the 'Engine WatchDog TM3'. I mounted it inside the cab near the passenger side kick vent, and it works like a charm.

This is all good stuff, but I have an auto 2H and can't figure out what the lever is supposed to hook to. Refer to post #12, part number 22419 in the auto picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom