2H injection pump suddenly leaks at the the output flanges, even though they are all tight?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After driving around yesterday, I noticed a diesel fuel smell and checked under the hood. The injection pump had fresh fuel all around the output fuel line flanges. I put a wrench on them and they were all tight. That’s the question; why would they leak all of a sudden when they were nice and dry before. To be honest, the injection pump and Dual fuel filter assembly have been a pain for ever. Those fuel lines are a bitch to remove and Ive had the occasional leak at the injector themselves, which involves getting them re-lapped to stop the leaks. But this time, they all seem to have started leaking at the pump. I’m stumped! If this is an indication that something inside the pump is stuck, maybe a relief valve or something? If anyone here knows of a cure, please let me know. The pic shows where all the wet fuel shows up after a drive. It has evaporated by the time of this pic. The engine runs fine and the leaks have no apparent affect on it’s performance.
523BF1FC-B1CE-4380-BA73-DB03B51E192D.jpeg

It’s not uncommon they leak there. So you backed off all the pipes, undid the lock clamps and then couldn’t get any movement at all out of the delivery ports? They would be strange... what about backing them off and retightening? If the that really didn’t work maybe after thorough cleaning pull them
Out and replace sealing washers.

Highly unlikely to be an underlying pump issue. What sort of diesel do you run?

Thanks,
we have the low sulfur fuel here in Washington State. I tried to tighten the upper nuts which is where I thought it was leaking. The lower nut with locking clamps I didn't Try To tighten yet as it looked wet all the way up the upper nut. I’ll try loosening the clamps and tightening those nuts. I just Can’t understand why they all seemed to start leaking at once.

Yeah it’s a bit funny they all did it, but those delivery ports do seem to randomly start leaking, the pipe unions not so much. They normally nip up pretty easily. Diesel can “wick” up a bit especially when everything’s warm and there’s a lot of air flow up and around

That may be why the fuel was all over the top of the pump. It’s messy and smelly, but doesn’t seem to affect the function of the engine. I’ll be tightening everything up tomorrow and we’ll see if it corrects. I appreciate your help! :beer: Cheers.

Can’t understand why they all seemed to start leaking at once.

Do you know for sure they are all leaking? It could be one of them leaking with the fan blowing it over the place. 1 banana job to replace the washers in the delivery valves.

Good point, I’ll be looking into that today. Thanks!

I went back and checked the fuel line connections on the pump again and confirmed that they aren’t loose. So I looked at the dual fuel filter connections which I’ve had leak before and decided to change out a crush washer I had installed and put in the correct rubber/metal washer. I forgot I ordered those a while back. The crush washer wasn’t correct and after a heavy footed drive the other day the pressure obviously was enough to spit fuel all over the place. Drove around a bit today and everything is dry. Hopefully that will be it , but I won’t know for sure until I drive her on a longer jaunt.
Thanks for the help!
318CEE15-F2BD-479D-AE39-2C43CB6C5901.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom