2h HJ60 oil pressure gauge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I’ve been doing some reading on oil pressure on the forum but wanted to also get some opinions.

I live near Charlotte in NC and it’s been in the upper teens low 20’s in the am. I noticed that my oil pressure was higher than normal in the morning while driving to work.

I took a picture to illustrate. Should I be concerned? I’m due for a oil change this weekend so once I get that done, I’ll see if that makes any difference.

Thanks

F00CA319-572C-4397-8A1F-A3462310D780.jpeg

Depends on where the needle used to sit. My oil pressure needle on the gas 2F has pointed in that exact same position for 32 years (while the engine is running). At this point you can't trust any of the 30+ year old gauges to be reliable. If you're worried about oil pressure, it would be best to hook up a separate (modern) oil pressure gauge to verify

I don't think that's a strange reading in cold temps. Does it drop when the oil gets warmer?

When the engine is warm and driving at 50 miles per hour i would expect the guage to read about half way

The hj messes up the oil so bad it gets thicker, pave the road with it, I know it is time to change oil when the reading gets higher and engine is warm.
Have you changed the oil pressure relief valve (that sticking error makes it spike up)

When the engine is warm and driving at 50 miles per hour i would expect the guage to read about half way
It does go down some after being warm, I could just be paranoid.

The hj messes up the oil so bad it gets thicker, pave the road with it, I know it is time to change oil when the reading gets higher and engine is warm.
Have you changed the oil pressure relief valve (that sticking error makes it spike up)
I’ll be changing the oil this weekend so that should give me a good gauge. Do you drive yours around some prior to changing when the temp is cold? Say below 40degrees? Any advice for changing oil when it’s below freezing?

Thanks

The recommendation is to "warm up the engine" before changing the oil. 12-15 minutes of fast idling can do that, or a spin around the block after its warmed up a bit. You want the oil pan underneath too hot to comfortably be able to touch.

The reason you want the oil hot before draining it is because it drains a lot faster and more thoroughly hot. Also you want all the parts fully lubricated before draining the pan because the oil filter will get replaced with an empty one, and at first startup it will take a while to fill the empty oil filter canister. During that time, the engine has no oil pressure and is lubricated by the clinging oil from the previous warm up.

That's why gigantic oil filters larger than stock are a loser. They take a long time to fill after an oil change- leaving the engine starved of lubrication.

hook up a reliable mechanical oil press gauge and get a clear exact idea of your oil pressures related to the factory dash oil press indicator ..

Looks normal to me , that’s where my HJ60 oil pressure sits while driving always. At some point you may need to replace your oil pressure relief valve. My oil pressure was running high, all the way to the H on start up, after replacing the oil pressure relief valve it went back to normal (where yours is at in the picture). If you need to do it, these were the parts needed:
201CD655-D1EA-4383-A291-D2DB424E2328.jpeg

Apperently, this is a pretty standard thing to fix on the 2H. The diesel section has a bunch of info/write ups on it.

The relief valve also has a longer (modified) version to prevent more damage and somehow not fail in the grooves like the short version.
But always heat the engine up to operating temp (hand burning)
What I do is drain oil, fill with 1 liter to much, start a few/10 seconds and drain one pitchblack liter, done that so many times I think the new oil pushes old oil out, don't know.
10w40 is fine for me, not the liquid synthetic but everybody has an opinion.

Question for you OSS. My old man taught me to add oil to the new filter before putting it on motor. I don't worry bout too much So my thoughts are size of filter may be irrelevant.

What do you think? And thank you for all your posts..they are highly recommended n appreciated.

Question for you OSS. My old man taught me to add oil to the new filter before putting it on motor. I don't worry bout too much So my thoughts are size of filter may be irrelevant.

What do you think? And thank you for all your posts..they are highly recommended n appreciated.
I fill my filters before fitting to refuce the ridk of prolonged starvation

I prefill or at least soak all filters, but had a bad new filter for the hj that did not fit and I still don't know why, but threw it away, soaked :bang:
There are a few problems described with hj not building oil pressure after oil change (also other brands) solution seems to rebuild a lot or just rev it until it dies or builds pressure.
If I park my hj nose downhill it will definitely build faster pressure and never stop of low pressure edic.

file.php

file.php

Last edited:
hook up a reliable mechanical oil press gauge and get a clear exact idea of your oil pressures related to the factory dash oil press indicator ..
My factory gauge on my 2F quit working, so I have mechanical gauge. It's been very cold for N Texas. Past couple of mornings in the teens. I watched the oil pressure move slowly up to its regular pressure at startup. In summer it's moves faster.

I'm confident that no issues with oil pressure. ADD mech gauge for peace of mind. My 2 cents

I prefill or at least soak all filters, but had a bad new filter for the hj that did not fit and I still don't know why, but threw it away, soaked :bang:
There are a few problems described with hj not building oil pressure after oil change (also other brands) solution seems to rebuild a lot or just rev it until it dies or builds pressure.
If I park my hj nose downhill it will definitely build faster pressure and never stop of low pressure edic.

file.php

file.php
Great info, thanks for sharing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom