2H HJ60 No Glow No Crank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good evening,

I was replacing all of the V Belts on my 1986 HJ60 tonight, that went well enough. However, when I went to start the thing and see how things are getting on in there, it wouldn't start! It doesn't glow and won't try cranking.

There was a spark when I brushed a tool across the top of the alternator while getting the old belt off, but I thought nothing of it at the time. The headlights will turn on, but no dash lights.

The batteries read 24.8 volts on the multimeter, and every fuse in the cab tested good.

Any ideas? We're getting quite a bit of snow at the moment and it won't be ideal to drive my Volkswagen Golf to work in the morning.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Okay, I figured it out. It was the fusible link on the right hand battery. I bypassed it for now with another bit of wire, but will have to source the proper ring connectors and fuse wire to fix it correctly. The AC Idler pulley also got replaced - no more squeaks!

I'm a happy camper.

hj60_fusible - Copy.jpg

Should post some pictures of truck. 😀

Okay, I figured it out. It was the fusible link on the right hand battery. I bypassed it for now with another bit of wire, but will have to source the proper ring connectors and fuse wire to fix it correctly. The AC Idler pulley also got replaced - no more squeaks!

I'm a happy camper.

View attachment 2869952
@ToyotaMatt has fusible links for your HJ60 I believe. He should chime in shortly.

I'm a happy camper.

View attachment 2869952
@ToyotaMatt has fusible links for your HJ60 I believe. He should chime in shortly.

Yes I do have the little black plastic junction box and the needed ring terminals style OEM fusable links

It looks like the links to
The plastic fusable
Links connector may also
Be burned ?

Check those too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom