AltFuel 2h going bio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
geographical area known as canada, near ontario
so i think id like to try to run some bio diesel in my newly converted hj62.

i bought 15 feet of 9w30 multi-fuel rubber fuel line
i have the stock hj60 water seperator with the new line
and today my brother made a prototype fuel heater

the plan is run high quality bio diesel so that i dont clog my injector pump. id like to eventually upgrade the water seperator to something like on a hino truck (racor)

i dont know much about bio or running it, but i think it could have its advantages|(low[er] emissions and better economy?)

if any has advice, feel free to discuss, i will try to document my progress and results.

so far i have parts(line+seperator) and i test drove the homemade fuel heater

the plan is to also insulate the contraption

this was a high pressure leak test.

album bio pictures by sdcamyotte - Photobucket

Image054.jpg

Image057.jpg

the line it is mounted is not going to work
i have a laser thermometer to mesure heat, and after a 25km drive on the highway the heater was 28*c, it was approx 12*c outside. i will use a different line for actual install.

i still have to find some bio diesel, i think i have sourced some out locally

Biodiesel should not clog any IP. Even poor quality biodiesel requires no filtering. Dewatering is a good idea if you are running home brewed bio, however. The only "conversion" for running bio is making sure your soft lines are compatible. Sounds like your cold Ontario climate will require some fuel heating, but only because bio's gel point can be quite high, depending on quality and feedstock. I run nothing but B100 and have absolutely no IP issues, except hard starts if the temp is below 20*F.

what was the temp of the heater by the time you got home?

As Tofu said, no mods are required to run bio. Are you actually planning on running Straight Veggie Oil (SVO)? That would require a 2 tank system, with filtering and dewatering of the oil prior to use. Or, you could look into making a reactor to convert the veggie oil to diesel fuel.

i got the temp to 50*c,

the thing is i installed the fuel heater on a rear heater hose, i will change this to the front heater hose direct out the motor.

i know i dont need to modify anything to run bio, but i want to get hese thing installed all at once so i dont have to revisit this project all the time.

right now tho, i am having some smoke issues and i was told it might be bad injector nozzle tip :s
and my priming pump is leaking so i got to get theses thing looked after first.

i was told the local biodiesel guy is kinda weird so im holding off a bit to get my stuff. i never met the guy tho so dont want to judge :p

what is the diff between svo and wvo? do you need to run a second tank for wvo? can you mix wvo with diesel? i know id need to have some time of heater for wvo, thats kinda why im instaling a heater in the motor bay, what about for the tank?

There's lots of info out there on running WVO in a diesel. WVO is "waste" veg oil from a restaurant. SVO is "straight" veg oil, never used. You can mix WVO with diesel, most will say no more than 20% WVO in an unheated system. There's also lots of info on blending WVO with kerosene, gasoline, solvents etc.

To run WVO or SVO in Southern Ontario, you will definitely need a 2-tank system with an in-tank heater to run WVO, especially in winter. www.plantsdrive.ca sells a whole kit which I have used, but you can also make your own, like I have done with my HJ60. Also look at frybrid systems and greasecar, but I like Plantdrive because it's Cdn. Another good website for general info on WVO, bio etc. is www.journeytoforever.org.

I have never run bio but I know people who have, and you can't use 100% bio in the winter or it will gel. You need to mix with diesel, at the most up to 50%. In the summer, you may get away with 100% bio. With heat it's a different story, but then why not go to a 2-tank WVO system?

The biggest concern with bio and WVO is not clogging the pump, but more the possibility of water in it, or not enough heat with WVO, both of which can do serious damage to a pump and an engine. Good quality bio and properly filtered/dewatered vegoil can avoid this.

My advice is, make sure you can find a good source for WVO before you spend too much time or $$ on converting. I started collecting oil 6 months before I had my system working. Having a stockpile of settled/filtered oil is a good thing.

Last edited:
this weekend some kids wrote in the dust of my tailgate:
**** u
ur dead
save forests

sigh
i put some bio in today, i will get a full fill up this week :)

**** u
ur dead
save forests

sigh

Idiots. One of these emblems will shut them up:

mercedesbiodieselemblem009.jpg

**** u
ur dead
save forests

sigh

I would write it off to kids not knowing how economical these trucks are.

cool emblem creeker, id like to get some sticker or something for one of the windows

kim, those kids came up to the truck in the country, i could see them from a distance as i was fishing down river, they crossed the bridge and there is nothing down that road for a while. i know since they didnt come to my fishing spot they must of had stopped and turned around at my truck. i couldnt tell what age they were but from what i can picture; they came up to this truck covered in mud and must of said to themselves: damn tree killing gas guzzler mowing down our forests.
little do they know...

today
i installed new [multi fuel 9w30) fuel lines
new fuel filter
rigged up my fuel heater

-could not get the system to prime with my water seperator
-new priming pump i ordered was leaking really bad from the top

i also change the oil+filter while at it

i ran 70L of bio diesel last tank, and will get some more tomorow

Are you running B100?

I can't wait to buy a 12H-T or 1HD-T and pop it in my truck.

yup its b100, going to get more tonite.

i get from a local guy who sells it for <70cent/L

i bet you'd spend far less money buying a canadian 2h (donor truck) then buying a 12ht or 1hdt

and for the record, i ordered the priming pump from 4wheelauto in edmonton, and when i called buddy up to tell him about the leak, he said to throw the leaky one in the garbage and he'd put a new on in the mail for me right away, great service!

Wow - ancient history... I think it was a BIODIESEL emblem, but I can't even remember. See kids, that's why you shouldn't do drugs.

I run canola B20 all year. In the winter I add 10% petrol, in the summer I add 10% clean dry UVO. The fuel mix is upflow cold filtered so that hydrogenated oil, and fats which clog screens and filters don't get into the fuel mix.

In my 13B-T, B20-V10 is the 'sweet spot' with best fuel mileage, power, reduced emissions, and cost. I can run more than B20 V10, but mileage and power noticeably drop . I'm satisfied with a 30% savings over pump price and significantly lower pollution.

I added a Flat Plate Heat Exchanger between the lift pump and the fuel filter, replaced the fuel hoses with Gates Barricade biodiesel resistant hose, and added a Wix 33972/Napa 3972 pre-filter after the water-separator-sentimenter. Everything else is OEM.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom