2h engine blown up. Swaping block but problem with the head (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello every one !

Well here the thing: I have a blown up 2H engine. So I got a another block and wanted to mount everything on that "new block". But when I got the blocks together I found out there was quite a few differences between them...

1) The water jackets on the "new block" rise slightly from the block whereas on my ancient block they don't.
2) My ancient block has hole for the water circuit that the "new block doesn't have...

So the question is, can I swap the head from my ancien engine to the new block ? :hillbilly:

Well I hope someone has the answer
Thanks to all those that make Ih8mud a great great forum !! :clap::clap:

62312517.png
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Perhaps the old engine was an H instead of a 2H?

Obviously it isn't ideal to fit the old head to your new block (assuming the bolt-holes line up) if it results in coolant passageways being blocked that should have "flow".

But as to whether you can "get away with it" ..... I don't know.

I have heard of someone running a 3B head on a B engine - :meh:

(I don't think I'd do it though. I think I'd prefer to try sourcing a head to match the newer block despite any "soaring costs" associated with that direction. )

:cheers:

hey lostmarbles ! thanks for the input. Well the ancient block is definitely a 2H (I have been running it for a while :).

For the water I also think it could be okay and the bolt-holes are the same..but still the whole operation was to be able to reuse this head.
I though moving a 2H head to another 2h engine block would be straight forward..Hum...
Anyone knows if along the way the 2H engine has been modified ? Ok in a sense I have proof in my garage :grinpimp:
but still assuming the water will still flow what about thoses jacket rising up the block ?

hey lostmarbles ! thanks for the input. Well the ancient block is definitely a 2H (I have been running it for a while :).

For the water I also think it could be okay and the bolt-holes are the same..but still the whole operation was to be able to reuse this head.
I though moving a 2H head to another 2h engine block would be straight forward..Hum...
Anyone knows if along the way the 2H engine has been modified ? Ok in a sense I have proof in my garage :grinpimp:
but still assuming the water will still flow what about thoses jacket rising up the block ?

The "jackets" are not water jackets, those are the cylinder sleeves. I have heard rumors on this website before that 2H's came in sleeved and unsleeved varieties - looks like you have one of each.

Dunno about the differences in water passages.

how old is ur 60 i think u have an early an a late 2H they changed in 85 the early 2H is a dry sleeve engine when i got a new head for my 86 cruiser they ask me what year it was now i know y

Wrong Pix added

sorry .

VT

Last edited:
I dont see that working with your head,if the water holes dont line up. mike

Thanks to all of you for this information. So I guess I am down to sourcing a matching head or find another block...:bang:

Well I contacted toyota and they only have one reference for a head cylinder for the 2H engine which means the head should fit any 2H engine... Maybe it's only down to the head gasket ? Maybe I need the one for the sleeved block...
Also thanks to VTCDN I went on the post called "My 2H is trashed" and had a close look to the pictures. The guy has an old 2H block (so with the sleeves sligthly out) and his cylinder head is exactly the same as mine, at least from what I can tell on the pictures...

Anyone could confirm ?
thanks !

Well I contacted toyota and they only have one reference for a head cylinder for the 2H engine which means the head should fit any 2H engine... Maybe it's only down to the head gasket ? Maybe I need the one for the sleeved block...
Also thanks to VTCDN I went on the post called "My 2H is trashed" and had a close look to the pictures. The guy has an old 2H block (so with the sleeves sligthly out) and his cylinder head is exactly the same as mine, at least from what I can tell on the pictures...

Anyone could confirm ?
thanks !

Yep that is what it looks like. That is my thread so if you need any specific or better pics just ask. However my head is at the machine shop so I can't take any pics of that.

thanks vwluv10338 for the contribution :D
So I put some more pictures: I put two pictures of my head to compare it with yours so you can give me your opinion.
To me, they are exactly the same.

Then I put two other pictures of the block on wich I wan to mount the head, so you can tell me if it is like yours..

By any chance would you have pics of the cylinder gasket your are using ?

myhead2.jpg
[/URL]

myhead.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

sleeves.jpg
[/URL]

I'd say the heads do look identical. As for the block, yep the liners stick up like .040". There are more pics in my thread because my problem is that ridge is cracked off.

I don't have any pictures handy of my headgasket and I three the stock one away but I will try to get some pics tonight when I get home.

I don't have experience with the 2H specifically, but the 3B (which is very similar) has a number of "holes to nowhere" in the head and head gasket that lead to dead ends on the block. I'm sure there are pic of this in my several 3B headgasket threads.

So it would not be entirely out of character for Toyota to have done this to the 2H as well.

Well I contacted toyota and they only have one reference for a head cylinder for the 2H engine which means the head should fit any 2H engine...
Anyone could confirm ?
thanks !

Hi Andy

I've looked at the EPC and I see the following 3 part numbers there for 2H engines (in timeline order)-

Bare head:

• 11101-69015
  • 11101-68011
  • 11101-68012
Based on my limited knowledge of interpreting EPC information -
All these part number are linked together in such a way to imply exactly what your Toyota dealer told you. That is, the 68012 head is a match for all the blocks that were timeline-matched to the earlier heads. (So it should be able to be used on them.)

But that of course doesn't confirm for certain that the reverse applies. (Ie. That a 69015 head would work on the block that year-matches the 68012 head.) But let's just say ... "it very likely will".

I give this warning because I think it's possible the latter heads may have "extra coolant passageways" or "enlarged passageway openings" to match those of ALL the earlier blocks as well as matching their own "timeline-matching block" (for instance).

(But I think all of the above is unimportant now anyway ... because if I'm reading this thread correctly ... you've already confirmed with the photos that your old head will work fine on your newly-aquired block.)

Actually I found this pic I took to show shipping damage. It's not good but it's all I have right now.

If you can get an OEM steel head gasket it is far superior to that brand in my opinion Andy.

Here is the comparison for my B-engine head gasket:

HeadGasketOEMmlsBott.jpg
OEM "multi-layer steel" is on the bottom

Trouble is - I see 2 different head gaskets for the 2H:
11115-68011/12 till Nov 84
11115-68020 from there till aug 87 (subs by 68040)

And I don't see any link between the two signifying interchangeability - But your Toyota dealer should have access to better information than me to set you straight there. (OEM gasket for my B-engine was a little over $NZ100 as I recall)

:cheers:
HeadGasketOEMmlsBott.jpg

Last edited:
Lost marbles.... Thank you for the detailed answer. :bounce: Well, I problem is now kinda of solved thanks to your help. I am saying "kinda" beacause so far the engine iss still not mounted but I going to pick up the head gasket and will try alml this tomorow :)
So yes there are two references for the head gasket and the matter was to have the matching one ! So all 2h head are interchangeable but you must get on the two head gasket depending on your block... with changeable sleeves means a block from 1980 to 1984 and non changeable sleeves means from 1984 till the end of production :)

Thanks again for the big help !!
Can't wait to gee the engine back :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom