2H Dyno tests (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a 1981 HJ47 Troopy 2H 4 speed that I recently added a 12HT turbo set up to (exhaust manifold, Toyota CT26 Turbo, internal wastegate at about 8 PSI, downpipe into a 2.5 exhaust no muffler exits behind the passenger rear tire.) I used a custom cross over pipe that was planned for use with another turbo. I wanted to use the 12HT cross over pipe but it wouldn't align how I wanted it to. Would have looked sweet, but just didn't work out.

The main goal was to know my stats before putting the turbo on so I went to the local Dyno place to get some info and have a baseline. I'm running 100% biodiesel and the test was done at around 5500'. From what I understand biodiesel has about 10% less power vs Petro diesel. I don't want to extrapolate what it would be with regular diesel, but pretty sure it would have a bit more power.

Natural Asperated 100% biodiesel:
HP: 79.69
Torque: 147.99
NA 2H.JPG

With CT26 Turbo 100% biodiesel:
HP: 123.36
Torque: 240.89
Max Boost: 8.2PSI using the DYNO's sensor tee'd into the wastegate actuator.
This graph has the NA and the CT26 Turbo runs. NA is Red and Turbo is Pink.
DYNO test with turbo.JPG

I did a tune while on the dyno and have turned the injection pump fuel screw out (counterclockwise) 3/4 turn from where it was pre-turbo. Not really sure what it is from original factory setting though....

I am very please with the results! The truck drives like a different cruiser. I can now easily cruise at 110KM/hour on the highway with EGT's at around 700*F on flat. EGT's drop down to 500*F or so when headed downhill at the same speed and climbs up to 900*-1000* when on uphills giving it a good amount of throttle. EGT's move quickly and can be dropped fast by letting up on the throttle. I plan to do some more real life testing around the hills by my house. I'm going to try and find a happy medium with EGT's and power. I think I would like to keep EGT's below 1000*F max on hill climbs.
I installed the EGT probe pre-turbo and have a Glow Shift 3 in1 gauge that has EGT's, Boost and Coolant temp. Seems to be working well. Plan to run it like this for a while and maybe one day get an water-air intercooler and a 5 speed.

2H turbo engine bay.JPG

This is awesome to see thanks for posting....
When I had a turbo/intercooled 2H it held its own with some 1HDT's out there. I was running ~20psi intercooled so could have eeked out a bit more HP.... but it was short lived with a cracked head eventually retiring that engine.

Good work! That is a great bump in power. I'm actually surprised how much your 2H dynoed pre-turbo. Must be a healthy motor.

Not sure if the motor has been rebuilt before or not? You probably know that OEM 2H pistons have weak ring lands. So definitely take it easy on how hard you push the motor in terms of maximum boost/fuel. Also, IDI turbos run hot (can lead to cracked cylinder heads), so keep that cooling system in tip top shape.... An intercooler would be a great investment in your engine's longevity.

That is a good number for an NA 2H - what tyres and diff gears?

Lose the pod filter as soon as you can and get an airbox that pulls cool air from the front of the vehicle or a snorkel, anything you can do to keep the heat out of the engine will help keep the 2H as happy as possible

Good work! That is a great bump in power. I'm actually surprised how much your 2H dynoed pre-turbo. Must be a healthy motor.

Not sure if the motor has been rebuilt before or not? You probably know that OEM 2H pistons have weak ring lands. So definitely take it easy on how hard you push the motor in terms of maximum boost/fuel. Also, IDI turbos run hot (can lead to cracked cylinder heads), so keep that cooling system in tip top shape.... An intercooler would be a great investment in your engine's longevity.
I was a bit surprised as well. I was expecting less with the altitude and biodiesel. I'm not sure if it's been rebuilt. I do think it's a later model 2h maybe from an HJ60?? At least the injection pump is from when I got new injectors.
Maybe Santa will bring me a water to air intercooler! I have been good this year....
I plan on keeping the boost as it is at right around 8PSI. I'm very happy with how much more power I now have and feel it's in a "safe'ish" range for the old 2H.
I have the coolant system in top shape. I had the stock radiator rebuilt, did a through coolant flush and added a temp sensor on the upper radiator hose to keep an eye on things along with the stock gauge.

That is a good number for an NA 2H - what tyres and diff gears?

Lose the pod filter as soon as you can and get an airbox that pulls cool air from the front of the vehicle or a snorkel, anything you can do to keep the heat out of the engine will help keep the 2H as happy as possible
I'm running 33x10.5 BFG KM3's on stock wheels. Stock gearing 4.11 at least I assume. I have not tested by turning a wheel and counting driveshaft rotation though.
A snorkel is on the Christmas list as well. I tried to place that filter close to the hood loovers to try and get some cooler outside air. I was maybe thinking of building a box for this filter that blocked off the side near the engine to hopefully pull more air from the vents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom