2H dipstick tube (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have experience removing the dipstick tube on a 2H. I have disconnected the top bolt holding it to the exhaust manifold but I can only get about half a turn before it hits the block on the other side. disregard the oil fitting on the alt, that wasnt mounted when I was unthreading the tube. Is there a trick to this I didn't see anything in the FSM and hopefully don't need to pull the entire engine apart to get the dipstick out..
PXL_20210326_170446368.jpg
PXL_20210326_170457880.jpg

I have removed one a few times.. no issues. No engine dissasembly required. You are unscrewing the retaining collar at the bottom? And you're saying thats where its striking the block? The retaining collar at the bottom should rotate without the dip stick rotating with it.. if the two parts (collar and tube) are frozen together you'll have to deal with that.

Last edited:
I was trying to un-thread the collar which threads directly into the block but the tube was rotating with it. Does the upper nut need to be loosened before the tube will rotate freely?
PXL_20210327_002410367.jpg

If the tube if frozen to the collar as it appears to be in your case you'll have to try some penetrating oil and/or heat because short of bending the dip stick tube so it can rotate with the collar I dont see any other solution. You could try using some vice grips to lightly hold the dipstick tube whilst you turn the collar to see if it will help release it.

Last edited:
Just so you understand what you're dealing with. The collar spins freely on the dipstick tube. Pphoto

1616824481751.png

Does the upper nut need to be loosened before the tube will rotate freely?
Yes, its a lock nut. It has probably never been off before. So lots of penetrating oil like Duncan suggested. Maybe some gentle heating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom