2FE--- What does it take? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jstncse

Crawling over something
Threads
Is it worth building a 2FE and does anybody have the necessary parts to get it done?

This is just one of the ideas that I am contemplating for my blown diesel. The LT1 motor already fell to the way side, now I'm contemplating other plans.

WOW!! That is a great write up and that engine was way too clean.

If he didn't put the engine in his truck, I was going to mount it to my coffee table in my living room. It's beautiful.

I might have a cowl harness ready to go. Save you some aggravation, though it is a good exercise. I will need to check, but I might also have an extra engine harness. Probably the 1988 flavor.

Unfortunately, The 2f that I would need to make this a reality is gone

https://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/576361-1980-2f-motor-trans-extras.html

This posting has been deleted by its author.
(The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)

I apparently did too good of a job helping him sell it.

So I don't have any of the parts necessary to convert back to the 2f so I bought another MB diesel and will give that one more try.
Just don't tell my wife............................

I have a feeling that between all of the 40 owners in ABQ, you can put together a 2F and a small nuclear fusion device.....

small nuclear fusion device

I suspect your are correct.......................
I pickup Mercedes diesel number 2 tomorrow, how does that saying about doing the same thing and expecting different results go.

I suspect your are correct.......................
I pickup Mercedes diesel number 2 tomorrow, how does that saying about doing the same thing and expecting different results go.

i usually pretend i have "learned" something... results vary :hillbilly:

You can have the 2f out of my 60. Needs new HG. Other than that, its ready to roll.

Lemme know if you are interested.

You can have the 2f out of my 60. Needs new HG. Other than that, its ready to roll.

Drop a 3FE head on it and the head gasket doesn't matter. Too bad he already bought the oil burner.

There is also TBI for the same effect. Toyota TBI Conversion Kit

Sounds like you're already set up with another Mercedes oil burner but if that fall through whatever you do don't go TBI on a 2F. BTDT. You won't get anything out of it but frustration. Same warning goes to anyone else considering such an "upgrade".

I was looking at the AFI conversion. Why is a TBI not a good idea on a 2f?

I know someone who put a TBI system from a Chevy 4.3? on his 2F and it works fairly well.

I know someone who put a TBI system from a Chevy 4.3? on his 2F and it works fairly well.

That is the same system Greg attempted on his 2F. He had nothing but trouble with it, which resulted in the Chebby transplant.

beno said:

Lemme know if you can't get rid of that. I want to make a 2 fe to drop in Lexie without being engine-less during the rebuild and balance.

Lemme know if you can't get rid of that. I want to make a 2 fe to drop in Lexie without being engine-less during the rebuild and balance.

Have you considered a 3FE? The trade off is low end torque for high end horse power, via a higher redline. I have a built 3FE still sitting on the stand that I have yet to drive. I chose to keep it 3f bottom end because I felt that the slow revving F/2F was too tractor like, and the higher redline makes the engine more highway friendly too, especially in my case where I have 4.11 gears and have not added a H55 to the scope of my project (yet :lol:).

To make up for the loss in lower end, I bumped the compression just north of 9:1, and added a 262 degree duration cam, with 42 degrees of overlap. I do have a '69 pre-smog vehicle so the overlap is not an emissions concern.

That being said, if you built the bottom end of a 2FE with forged rods, ARP bolts, balance the rotating assembly, it would safely rev past 4750 RPM. Then raise the compression, cam it, and mega-squirt it=> That would be the ultimate F engine, the best of both worlds, and in the neighborhood of 200 BHP. Just $$$

Then again we are building 4x4s and not sports cars, so Jon probably made the right compromises for someone with an H55 with his 2FE build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom