2FE Build Opinions Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll post up when I have some meaningful info on fuel economy, driveability, etc.

I decided to replace the old mechanical fuel pump with OEM from CDan, and reroute the fuel lines at the fuel surge tank to address the fuel starvation problem, and replaced the timing cover gasket as a small oil leak appeared there. I ordered AC parts to convert to R134a while everything was apart (again).

Cruise Moab was last week, so the 40 got all the attention, but the 60 is now back to the priority, so after this weekend when AC parts are here, I should get some time behind the wheel:steer:

I'll post up when I have some meaningful info on fuel economy, driveability, etc.

I decided to replace the old mechanical fuel pump with OEM from CDan, and reroute the fuel lines at the fuel surge tank to address the fuel starvation problem, and replaced the timing cover gasket as a small oil leak appeared there. I ordered AC parts to convert to R134a while everything was apart (again).

Cruise Moab was last week, so the 40 got all the attention, but the 60 is now back to the priority, so after this weekend when AC parts are here, I should get some time behind the wheel:steer:

I'm confused... there is no mechanical fuel pump on a fuel injected engine. This is what we are talking about, right?

Read back, I think he retained the mechanical pump from the 2fe.

EDIT- I couldn't find it in this thread, maybe I am mistaken. I thought I read somewhere that one of the people that built a 2fe used the 2f fuel pump.

I also retained the Mechanical fuel pump on my 2F-E . It feeds a surge tank from where the Walbro get the fuel to feed the fuel rail .
( BTW Fuel use : last tank 12MPG but I am using aftermarket ecu that still needs tweaking. Best so far 14MPG )

This is new to me. Can you diagram the setup with both fuel pumps? Thanks!

The 60 has an auxiliary fuel tank between the frame rails that the stock tank feeds into, so the fuel pickup point for the fuel is from the auxiliary tank. With the pickup point so low, I was not comfortable mounting the electric fuel injection pump on the frame rail as I didn't think that the electric pump would do a good job of "lifting" the fuel as they are best at "pushing".

So I basically left the stock fuel pump in place, and instead of it feeding the carb (which doesn't exist anymore on this motor) it feeds a small surge tank mounted on the firewall which contains the electric fuel injection pump. The electric pump feeds the fuel rail. Both the mechanical pump return line and fuel rail return line go to this small tank, and the return line to the stock fuel tank comes out of the top of the surge tank.

I will post pictures and a diagram later today.

Here is the diagram and a picture of the install.

2FE fuel system 003.JPG

Attachments

• 2FE FUEL SYSTEM.pdf
    15.1 KB · Views: 222
So here is my setup . The pipes is a bit long but it works .
My Surge tank at the rear
The piping diagram is the same as with DickM's setup

img_2986.jpeg

With protective cover to shield flying rocks
picture_002.jpeg

Fuel Pump with filter ( that thing is more like a strainer )

img_2985.jpeg

And with the cover

picture_003.jpeg

Last edited:
( BTW Fuel use : last tank 12MPG but I am using aftermarket ecu that still needs tweaking. Best so far 14MPG )
@Yspen , what transmission do you have?

Is it me or is this an overly complicated way to go about this?

It is more complicated, for sure. But the thinking is (I think) that there is less chance of the electric fuel pump starving or failing to "pull" the fuel up from the tank since the fuel has to travel up the in tank pick up before gravity helps it to the pump and is then pushed by the electric pump. This also ensures the fuel doesn't drain out of the line and is always ready for start up.
That's my assumption anyway. I have thought about putting an in tank pump in my spare fuel tank when I do my 2FE, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Last edited:
Stump, your analysis matches mine.

If you have a stock tank that you are using, then using a frame rail mounted electric pump/filter is very straight forward. Locating the pump close to the tank is best, and noise is minimized.

If you swap in a 62 tank with the stock fuel pump in the tank, then this too is fairly straight forward. Aftermarket parts, or some from a donor 62 make this pretty easy to adapt to a 60.

If you can't use either of these first two scenarios, complicated (sorta) is what you get. For me, locating a submersed fuel pump in a surge tank fed by the system that existed in the 60 was pretty straightforward. Electric pumps push better then they pull, and last longer and are quieter when submerged.

So, after planning on the first option, and not being able to do that or the second option with the auxiliary tank set up that I had, option three was it.

That was my thinking; why not just use an in tank pump?

That was my thinking; why not just use an in tank pump?
A good option, but for me the surge tank was easier and more doable with my skills. I wasn't comfortable dropping the the auxiliary tank and cutting on it, and it seemed like more work for little gain.

Anyway, I have an in-tank pump..........it is just in a really small tank:doh:

DickM's setup with submerged pump is first prize . I wanted a reachable pump should it fail on trail.

Re transmission : H55F with 4,56 diffs and 33" tyres .

Stump, your analysis matches mine.

If you have a stock tank that you are using, then using a frame rail mounted electric pump/filter is very straight forward. Locating the pump close to the tank is best, and noise is minimized.

If you swap in a 62 tank with the stock fuel pump in the tank, then this too is fairly straight forward. Aftermarket parts, or some from a donor 62 make this pretty easy to adapt to a 60.

If you can't use either of these first two scenarios, complicated (sorta) is what you get. For me, locating a submersed fuel pump in a surge tank fed by the system that existed in the 60 was pretty straightforward. Electric pumps push better then they pull, and last longer and are quieter when submerged.

So, after planning on the first option, and not being able to do that or the second option with the auxiliary tank set up that I had, option three was it.

Yeah, I'm doing this on a 1981 FJ40, so there is some work needed to fit an in tank pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom