2fe Bogs Just Off Idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GRM

Finding new adventures in old jalopies.
Threads
I'm posting here, as 60 owners are far more familiar with the 3fe than 40 owners.

I just swapped a 2fe into my '71 FJ40. The engine is an 84 FJ60 2f block, bored 1mm over, with an 89 FJ62 head.

The issue I'm running into is that the engine bogs out if I accelerate past 10% throttle. WOT sounds like I just keyed off the engine.

I have my suspicions what is wrong, but I'm hoping to get input from people with more experience with this engine.

Thanks for the help.

Checked for codes/proper adjustment on the tps? I assume you know there can be codes even without the light on. There's also a 3fe wizard somewhere in the 80s section if we're not too helpful. What do you idle at?

First thought is TPS or related wiring, second thought is perhaps AFM / wiring. Were the 3FE bits and wiring harvested from from single good running vehicle?

Is this happening when it's free revving I neutral? Or when trying to drive? Perhaps the fuel pump can't keep up? What are you running for the pump?

It also could be timing. Are you certain your distributor isn't a tooth off?

To answer:

No idea on the rpm's as it doesn't have a tach. Also no idea on the check engine light, as that isn't hooked up yet either.

My next step is to check out the AFM and TPS - making sure they are both working and properly adjusted.

I never heard the 3fe run, so who knows if there were issues. Either way the parts sat for over 10 years before getting this engine running.

It could also be timing. The timing was 180 out when we first tried to fire the motor.

I should also note that when the engine first fired up, it bogged at anything over 3/4 throttle. Now it's anything over 30% throttle when cold and gets worse as the engine warms up.

Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming!!

Could there be gunk or junk in the fuel tank that's blocking up the pick up or filter?

Could there be gunk or junk in the fuel tank that's blocking up the pick up or filter?

Brand new tank, pump and fuel lines.

One item that is questionable is the fuel pressure regulator, so I'm changing it out to be on the safe side

test pressure before swapping any parts...check the tps calibration and hook up the CEL.

After some digging I found the tps adjustment, but I can't find the check for the AFM or making sure the distributor isn't one tooth off.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for those two?
IMG_1167.JPG

do you have the FSM? there is a flow check of the AFM outlined, but as for the dizzy being off a tooth; not so much a flow check on that. BUT if your cel was hooked up, it could tell you if the diz were off...

Have you determined there are NO cracks or holes in ANY of the air intake lines? Oil cap is on tight? dipstick fits snug? if there is ANY chance of air getting into the plumbing AFTER the AFM, you'll be scrawed...check for intake air leaks.

X2. And the fpr and tps are common gremlins on these rigs

Well- I figured out the problem. I had the wrong sealing washer on the fuel injection pressure damper. Rather than having a star looking washer, I has a solid copper washer. It basically stoped the flow of fuel to the rail. I'm really surprised it ran at all.

Once I fixed it, I was shocked, as I had no idea how fast a 2fe is!

Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom