2FE and/or H55F - got one and willing to demo/chat? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any 2FE and/or H55F rigs local to us I can sit down with and get a feel for what the experience is actually like? I'm getting my 4.88's installed later this year (timing didn't work out for me several months back) and as far as the "big picture" is concerned, these are two other known areas to help the 3FE out with those pesky freeway runs (my ONLY criticism of my '92, especially when there's some hill climbing involved). I've read the posts that are out there, would really love to be able to get some first-hand experience with an owner.

I am NOT interested in GM or diesel engine swap, the 2FE (with cam work) sounds like it might be what I'm after but would prefer to get a first-hand drive if possible (emphasis on top-end with a possible build, not going for an extreme rock climber). The H55F might just be icing on top so if anyone has a rig equipped with either or both and would be willing to chat/drive one evening so I can get my personal impressions, I'd appreciate it. Doesn't have to be an '80 (that's preferred obviously but not required).

Pizza, beer, lousy jokes - on me. I will drive to you (Tucson might work out as well) - volunteers?

thx!

-todd

(ahem) MPCude has an H55f....i dont want to volunteer him just sayin'

Last edited:
Murf - my man!

@MPCude - hoping to hear from you, will send a PM - thx!

edit - not finding a 'mpcude', did you get that right?

Last edited:
I think he lives in Tucson area and has an underscore mp_cude >He just had us install a OME full lift.

When I had my 60, i always wished I had the extra gear for the freeway...

PM sent, thx guys!

I still can't stand calling PM's "conversations".....

I would enjoy getting together. I can tell you that 5th gear is a lifesaver on the highway. Just drove to northern california and back and did 17 MPGs @ 60-65mph, it drops to 12 mpg @ 75mph and you don't feel like your flogging it to death. With 373s, 32x11.5 mud tires, full wilderness rack, bumpers and winch I believe that is quite exceptional. It's still quite enemic on the steeper hills (grapevine, no different than my 1fzfe did), but its never going to be a hot rod. Having owned a number of 60/62s, I'd never own another without it, or the 3fe fj80 with the h55f and a part time case for that matter. Let me know when you'd like to meet up.

I would enjoy getting together. I can tell you that 5th gear is a lifesaver on the highway. Just drove to northern california and back and did 17 MPGs @ 60-65mph, it drops to 12 mpg @ 75mph and you don't feel like your flogging it to death. With 373s, 32x11.5 mud tires, full wilderness rack, bumpers and winch I believe that is quite exceptional. It's still quite enemic on the steeper hills (grapevine, no different than my 1fzfe did), but its never going to be a hot rod. Having owned a number of 60/62s, I'd never own another without it, or the 3fe fj80 with the h55f and a part time case for that matter. Let me know when you'd like to meet up.

I'll be in touch - it'll be a little bit, a trek to Tucson isn't on the immediate horizon given work/kids/wife but I'll definitely take you up on this. I forgot about part-time, another to add to my list.....

thx!

So......anyone got a 2FE?

I have a 2F with H55F - you are welcome to drive the 40 next time I am in AZ

Jim S. has a 2 FE in his rootbeer 40 - he's in Sierra Vista

honestly, I cannot fathom why anyone would want to switch from a more modern 80 transmission to an H55F :confused:

honestly, I cannot fathom why anyone would want to switch from a more modern 80 transmission to an H55F :confused:

I'll take you up on that, thx Claudia. Ping me and I will do what I can to come find you :).

Jim S......Sierra Vista.......I guess no Tempe/Mesa/Chandler/Gilbert 2FE's. It'll have to do - thx again!

9/12 - 9/15 is our next visit

remind me a day or so before . . .

Will do - it's in my calendar so I won't forget.

Good stuff....

I prefer an automatic, however the auto and awd of the 91~92 fj80 robs the 3fe of all power and drivability...terrible driving experience, its a shame, I love the 3fe in an 80, just needs to be freed up a little.

I prefer an automatic, however the auto and awd of the 91~92 fj80 robs the 3fe of all power and drivability...terrible driving experience, its a shame, I love the 3fe in an 80, just needs to be freed up a little.

I COMPLETELY agree. "Freed up a little", unfortunately, hasn't proven to be as an easy chore. My thinking behind this little quest is:
  1. Does a 2FE (with cam mods or replacement) give me significantly more than just "seat of the pants" performance gains?
    • I'm about 27 seconds for a 0-60 run right now........
    • flooring it to gain extra speed/momentum for any hill climb >= 1% slope is required.........
    • ascending a large road or freeway hill (e.g. 260 North to get atop the Rim, I-17 north headed to Flag, etc.) is an unbearable experience.
    • "Getting there" is supposed to be half the fun, right? - well it isn't (always)!!!!
  2. I also prefer an automatic, an H55F (or its 4-speed equivalent) is only a consideration in my 80 to help overcome point #1 - it'd come with its own tradeoffs obviously which I'm not sure are worth it to me (a manual transmission is NOT the goal, more usable power is).
Noted performance issues above exist today after I've done (or had done) all of the following (all OEM unless otherwise noted):
  • Regular oil changes
  • Air filter (kept original as spare)
  • Fuel filters (one on body, haven't done sock at tank)
  • Fuel dampener and pressure regulator
  • PCV
  • New vacuum lines
  • Air intake pipes
  • Distributor cap, rotor, plugs and lines (helped)
  • Cleaned throttle body (helped)
  • BB trick (helped)
  • New exhaust (Y-pipe back)
  • New O2 sensors and bungs (bungs SOR)
Yet to do: Adjust valves, advance timing (AFM and crankshaft), 4.88's..........part-time 4WD?

So it's not like I'm not trying! :) :)

ascending a large road or freeway hill (e.g. 260 North to get atop the Rim, I-17 north headed to Flag, etc.) is an unbearable experience. "Getting there" is supposed to be half the fun, right? - well it isn't (always)!!!!

Sounds like you need a v8 conversion. 2F is never going to not struggle up those grades. Yes, that's a double negative.

Sounds like you need a v8 conversion. 2F is never going to not struggle up those grades. Yes, that's a double negative.

Recognizing I'm a 5'8" stubborn SOB trying to stick to the toyota stack......perhaps I need to include in my quest to gain some direct experience against my alternatives is to ask/request if anyone local has a GM/V8/diesel swap in an 80 as well. I guess that would really give me the full spectrum of what's available to consider.

@murf / @Tools R Us - do you guys have any sage words of wisdom or advice?

Recognizing I'm a 5'8" stubborn SOB trying to stick to the toyota stack......perhaps I need to include in my quest to gain some direct experience against my alternatives is to ask/request if anyone local has a GM/V8/diesel swap in an 80 as well. I guess that would really give me the full spectrum of what's available to consider.

@murf / @Tools R Us - do you guys have any sage words of wisdom or advice?

Considering the F series toyota motor is closely related to GM's inline 6 and toyota did purchase license to build their own version of the GM 5.7 in tbe 80s, though they never built it, I think a vortec swap is perfectly accetable. Just my rationale...

mtkreitz did a V8 swap into his FJZ80. it seems no matter what, a drivers quest to get more power via modifications to thier current vehcile always comes up very expensive in the end. Also seems with little chance to ever recover the investment when and if they ever sell.

My advise may not be taken as feasible due to emotional attachments, etc. but I believe the most reasonable answer financially in the end is to step up to a LC model that has the power you want. You can buy a great 4.7 V8 100 series for less than a comparable miled 80 series. And as a added bonus: it will run cooler, rides better, and has better air conditioning.

When I went from my 3FE 1992 80 series to my current 96 FJZ80, the power to me (at the time) seemed like night and day. Some thoughts to consider.....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom