2F won't start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just finished my hei swap yesterday. Everything was fine, drove it 20 miles last night. Today ,i drove to the end of y driveway, and got out to put my trash out. I was behing my cruiser and saw a very small amount of white smoke. Then it just stalled. Now it will not start, Turns over great, and is getting fuel

My question is, what do I check now,and in what order? Thanks in advance.

You let the magic smoke out. ;)

Check for spark at a plug first.
Got spark? pull the plug and check for wetness or black soot. If you got that, remember to take the choke off next time you let it idle. :D Clean the plugs and put them back in. Drive.
Maybe your distributor turned? Grab it and turn it. If it moves, re-time.
Got no spark? Check for power at the 12V connection. If you have power, use an ohm meter on the coil and pick up coil. If you have all that, you might need a module. Make sure the rotor is turning. I've seen guys who replace everything and never check to see if the distributer turns. The roll pin could have sheared, or much worse. The best one I saw was a guy could not figure out his no start no spark until someone noticed the crank pulley wasn't turning. The crank had snapped at the first main bearing. The timing gears didn't turn, so the cam didn't move so the distributer didn't turn.
No power at the Bat terminal on the cap, get some.

OK , I checked it, no spark. So I checked my power at the relay, all was good. I checked it at the bat connection, nothing, nada, zip. So when I bypasses the relay, I got the sweet sound of my forkilift powered offroad machine, rumbling to life.

Bad relay huh? I bought it yesterday, must be some defect. I have the relay powered directly from the battery, with a 20amp inline fuse.

I never even had a multimeter in my life before. Sure is a handy tool.

Really ought to be a bigger fuse. Are you running 10 ga from bat to relay and 10ga from relay to Hei? If so, you can safely use a 30amp line fuse between the relay and the battery(power source) :) that will protect your relay, too.
Ed

Really ought to be a bigger fuse.  Are you running 10 ga from bat to relay and 10ga from relay to Hei?  If so, you can safely use a 30amp line fuse between the relay and the battery(power source) :) that will protect your relay, too.
Ed
Cool , I'll pop a 30 amp fuse in there. I am running 10ga from battery to relay, and relay to hei. The start/on wire is smaller though.

I'm gonna pop another one in and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom