2f woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2f will not idle at times. So jumped in the cruiser for a trip up the street. Would not idle. Thought maybe a vacuum leak. Would not even get 500 rpm at idle. Cut engine off and got my wife's mirror. Upon inspection from underneath I don't see a crack in the manifold. Started the truck back up and idled like a kitten.

This is not a cold engine symptom as it does it well after warm up. I had the HG done earlier this year. Pulls fine when on the gas as well. Other concern is i found oil on the outside puddled under a spark plug. I did recently add a couple quarts of oil but doubt I spilled enough to get back there. Any thoughts?

Idle control selnoid,= no idle or sometimes no idle.

Oil may be from the oil gallery plug leaking, it's on the head, kinda above the dizzy if I recall, around 4-5 cylinder. Its a pressed in plug and like to come out.

Galley plug done when head rebuilt. Will look into idle solenoid.

yeah, that solenoid will getcha...shine a light on that crack...there are some serious casting marks that look like cracks on them things...if it idles well at all, then there is likely no crack...just double check it...

Just checked solenoid. Clicks when I disconnect and reconnect wire with switch on. Running a Trollhole carb. Must be a vac leak.

Could also be emissions computer. The idle control solenoid ground is controlled by this 'computer' and sometimes the solder joints start cracking. You can reflow and see if the issue continues. If it does, ground the white wire off the solenoid onto the carb.

@the gimpey one ICS could also be intermittently dying which would cause the issue. Main culprit with not wanting to keep idle is the ICS or the Emission Control Computer (which is located in the drivers kick panel). Make yourself a small jumper wire for the ICS plug and ground the ICS to the carb body. Drive like that for a bit and see if you still have the issue. If not, then yup the computer is going (I have a spare by the way).

He says he's running a trollhole carb. One wire ICS so already grounded thru carb body. Emissions computer controls ground, so out of the loop now.

However, I would rule out the ICS before hunting for other stuff by wiring the lead directly to 12V and see if it still happens and make sure the carb is grounding properly. Also, the little O-ring on the end of the ICS can disintegrate and block the idle circuit.

Verify the solenoid is actuating the valve rod...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom