x (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like you know what to expect.

I'm going to do an ltg 2.0 turbo with 4l65e at some point in the next couple of years. That engine could also go nv4500 iirc.

275hp and 295 torque. 260 torque @1700rpms.
A simple tune, commonly gets it to 300hp and 330 torque.

For me, the ltg is the sweet spot. If I want to let the wife or daughter drive it, they won't be over there heads with horsepower.

Oh, and they are CHEAP and plentiful...

My .02 :)

From a power standpoint, I have the following numbers for 2f and 3fe: 135hp/210ft-lbs vs 155hp/220ft-lbs. How does the 2fe fit in here?

Look at the rpm where peak hp torque were obtained in both motors. What you will find is that the 3FE makes it at higher rpm than the 2F. This is because the 3F block is just a de-stroked 2F block. They did that to get more rpm (and hence more hp since hp is just torque x rpm), at the expense of moving the power band up in the rpm range. So, the 3FE is a better highway motor than the 2F but the 2F is a better off-road motor with it's longer stroke and low-rpm power band. The 2FE then is just a stroker 3FE; you get the advantages of the port fuel injection with the lower-rpm power band of the longer-stroke 2F. I don't know what the numbers would be like, never seen one on a dyno - but there's no doubt in my mind that it would better than either a 2F or a 3FE on the trail. The real question is, is it enough of an improvement to be worth it for the time and money to do it, versus say an sbc swap. I think the guys that are building 2FE's are typically the guys who want to keep it all Toyota.

I seem to recall that the 2fe got a compression bump. My curiosity I guess is drivability/power. With luck, my club member will get his going here shortly. I just recall LOTS of issues with bad heads, accessories, and wiring.

You can bump the compression on most anything by milling the head.

The 2FE is not super easy; you have to integrate part of the 3FE wiring harness and ECM, then you will have to modify the fuel tank and integrate the 3FE fuel pump and pressure regulator, the exhaust, etc.

3fe's are awesome in 40's . I think more guys would re-think v-8 swaps if they had tried it first. Especially when coupled to a manual transmission. They rev nice and if you have a low gear #1 like 465 or 420 , I find mine has lots of bottom end grunt. What is the plan for the t-case ?

I don't have a fuel tank yet but I will probably end up with something custom in the very butt end. I could possibly do something very similar to how I did my FJ55 tank with stock Camaro fuel pump assembly... I've never seen a 3fe fuel pump.

It's a submersible, in the bottom of the tank on the FJ62 and FJ80. An alternative would be to use a 2F mechanical fuel pump and a surge tank, like some guys are doing with Holley Sniper installations.

I mounted the pump and factory sump in my tank and plumbed the return line back into the sump the same as factory toyota had done. Never had any issues with that setup. In the tank under the seat.
I also gear the diffs to match the tires in my rig. Currently 4.88's on 39" reds. I use #2 for most climbs which need a bit of wheel speed. # 1 for crawling. I lug my motor down so much sometimes I can feel each hole hit. Stickies hook up quite well when you can do that.
I find nothing puts it on the ground as well as an inline 6. Very much in love with my 3fe but I would consider a 1fz if I could figure out how to hook it up to th350 or a manual trans.

I’ve owned one 3FE 40 and driven a second, great motor in a 40.

Yes a manual 4 sp will bolt right on and avoids the lack of parking brake on the split case and rear cross member. The ECU does not care about the transmission. There are write ups on here about what motor mounts to use, shimming and slotting requirements, and radiator hoses.

The 3fe crank has a pilot bearing. And it is a real bearing not a bushing. Some info on fitting a 4 speed behind a 3fe in this thread (not mine) :

Since you’ve got the rear parking break covered, you can go with a later H42 or H41 for the low 1st gear, both mated to a split case. I think the key is having the correct bellhouse for the tranny application. Mine was mated to the original H42 and single case, using the bell housing from the old 2F that came out.

You can also re-gear the split case if you want to go lower

Last edited:
Well, once my 2FE is finished, you can drive it and see what you think. I need to get back to it, I've just been swamped with fab work and keep getting more behind every time the wind blows slightly and PG&E gets scared.

For me, the selling point was EFI, all Toyota, and I like the smoothness of the powerband of the F engines over a v8. And.. the fact my V8 was such a turd wasn't helping much. lol

I think behind an H55 would be best.. but mine's a 4 speed.. for now. Hopefully I can change that soon. I really want to get it running before I think about the H55 though. lol

And.. since I"m getting another 3FE, I might put that into my 55, which would be sweet too.

The 3FE EFI stuff is getting kinda hard to find, that being said it is dirt simple and last forever. Never had an EFI related issue with mine.
Get yourself an 81-84 FJ60 H42/splitcase takeout and throw 4:1 gears in it. Better low range then a H41 with stock T-case gears and much easier to find.

Sameless plug, I have almost everything to build a really nice 2FE , including bellhousing, flywheel, all clutch parts, etc.
And a nice H41/splitcase already assembled..

That I've been hoarding to put in a FJ40 one day.... ;)
for the right price it could all be on a pallet.

For some reason, I think finding a complete 3FE might be a bit easier to find that a compete big block cady ;) I found the latter for dirt cheap.

My transfer case expert told me the 34mm cases are not the best choice for 4:1 gears. His claim was machining was thin in a few areas.

Oddly, I've got an H42/split case sitting on my floor right now that I was considering for this 40. But I have a club member has a more immediate need for it ;)

Sadly, as I mentioned, this is a very back burner project so I'm not pushing real hard on acquiring a drivetrain yet. Rain/snow are coming shortly and I'm garageless so next 4-5 months will be no 'real' fab.

Plus, I still have a drivetrain to stab before I get dumped on ;)

Why would a 34mm case not be as good? It has more material then the 38mm case. Then only difference is around the idler shaft diameter. Sorry for the tangent

If you go the 3fe or 2fe route, start watching for sales of spares to pick some up without having to pay premium "I need it now " prices. I've picked up spare ecus, afms, tps, igniters, distributors, iavs, cors and efi relays. You never know when you will need it and it can help with troubleshooting. Be careful some of the fj62 and fj80 3fe efi parts are not the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom