2F with 81K and all smog equip, could I sell it?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by GadgetPhreak, Apr 17, 2018.

1. GadgetPhreak

GadgetPhreak GOLD Star

Ive been thinking about swapping in a crate Cummins 2.8R, 5spd, split transfer case, upgraded axles and redoing the suspension.. question is, what is the best approach for recouping some funds from existing drivetrain?

Do I separate it out and sell off parts individually or is it a stronger package to keep some amount of it together? It’s an original 1978 with 81k 2 owner miles and what appears to be a mini truck PS conversion that runs strong. I’m looking to get better drivability out of it as I intend to keep this for the long haul and would like to have it be more serviceable.

There’s a part of me that feels like I should keep it original. But there’s also a side of me that just wants to tweak it a bit to make the driving experience and reliability a little better so I can just drive it and love it that much more.

Looking for some input.. positive and negative

2. emac

emac

Media:
    Albums:
    How about putting in a 5 speed. That would maintain originality, add value and drivability? That might be tweaking, full engine drivtrain swap might be a bit more than a tweak! :)

sounds like a nice truck to lose its original motor.

stevebradford and GadgetPhreak like this.
  3. jim land

jim land SILVER Star

keep it stock , maybe a tbi set-up but no more.
    For the cummins 2.8 project , find an already hacked cheap 40 with a tired sbc engine

4. pjohnson

pjohnson SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    You have a really nice stock 40. It would be a bit of a shame to modify it to the extent you're thinking.

That being said, it's your cruiser to make your own.

I think keeping the drivetrain together is your best bet. At least the engine anyway. Keep every piece of the smog equipment. There's quite a few bits on a 78.

GadgetPhreak likes this.
  5. landcrush

landcrush

Keep the 2F and all associates parts, do the Cummins swap and should you for some reason ever want to go back to stock you could.
    Might as well enjoy the truck and make it a unique rig.

Mine is numbers matching, albeit already hacked up, and I’m going 1UZFE swap. Will keep the F, should i ever want to go full stock restoration (which i don’t foresee happening, modern motor will be to much fun)

6. TapRackNGo

TapRackNGo SILVER Star

If you do end up selling it, let me know please.

7. GadgetPhreak

GadgetPhreak GOLD Star

8. Sheck44

Sheck44 SILVER Star

Branden ... Its your truck and you should do what you want with it
    FYI ... I got a couple of grand for all my old parts

Cheers
    Steve

9. GadgetPhreak

GadgetPhreak GOLD Star

Thanks, I get that. The struggle for me is conflicting passions.. the 40 fan part of me wants to retain as much of its heritage as possible as there are fewer and fewer original examples around. This one is clearly not completely original, but largely is and could be tweaked back to mostly original pretty easily. The driver in me wants to just lay down some miles and drive it. I’m a huge fan of Resto mods done right. It’s hard to beat the character of the 40 with some modern running gear and safety... decisions.

10. Sheck44

Sheck44 SILVER Star

Yessir ... and I totally get this because Im 'kinda' of the same mind set.
    Im building 2 right now, one crazy LS modernized bad ass truck, and one that will be a true resto-mod.
    The true Resto-mod will be along the same lines as what your thinking, an absolutely perfect 66' body that will retain a lot of originality of the 66 but with a R2.8, 5 speed, split case, suspension, steering and a beauty interior....

Its so funny, I've been building hot rods etc. for years now and I can tell you with certainty that EVERY person that I've heard tell me that they are modernize their vehicle with the intent of keeping all the original parts and possibly going back to original NEVER has done so ... and theres a reason.

Below, my last project that was done RIGHT as you say has all the character of a 69' Camaro but everything about the car was improved and done properly, cleanly with class.

I dont care what any of the Camaro purists say ... this car is a 1000X better than any original in every way, and I have the awards, recognition to prove it

[​IMG]IMG_6730 by Steve Heck, on Flickr

Martyt and GadgetPhreak like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.