2F with 3FE head crate motors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know anywhere you can buy a 2F with 3FE head crate motor? If so do you have to mesh two wiring harnesses together or can someone build a new one to work with the above motor?

I don't think you can buy that set-up in a crate motor. However serveral people have done the swap them selves with great results. There was a good write up in Toyota Trails this month on how to do just this engine combo.

$300!?!?! damn! just build it and throw that in a 40! i am going to try the 2F-3FE hybrid if i can get all the pieces together. the write up in trails this month has inspired me! i just wish i could find some write up on doing the swap into a 40. i want to get some recon on the wiring setup. since my 40 is old as dirt ('72) i dont have power steering, smog pump, or A/C to deal with, so the trails write up was more of 'hey thats neat' than 'this will be next to me during the swap.' hopefully i can pull it off and do as good a write up as aaron did for trails!

e

I may be working on the same thing... I have a complete 3FE that I was going to swap in complete, but the idea of using my fresh bottom end has me thinking... :D

There is another 3FE head setup for sale in the Mud classifieds... :D

I am doing a complete 3FE conversion now. 3FE bolts right up to the 2F bellhousing. Motor sits a little lower then the 2F in the engine compartment other than that perfect swap. As for using the top end on a 2F.. I would stick with the 3FE wiring harness assuming part of the reason for the swap is for the EFI. Will need the computer and electric fuel pump. Toyota uses a series of relays on the fuel system to regulate fuel delivery. Hardest part of the wiring.

Good luck... :D

fubar_66030 said:
..Motor sits a little lower then the 2F in the engine compartment other than that perfect swap. ...

Are you using the 2F or the 3F motor mounts, the 3F ones are offset a bit for better mounting... :D

I used the 3FE Motor mounts.

OK for overall ease of installation, is it easier to put 3FE on a 2F, or a 2F under a 3FE?

Confused? Is it easier to inject a 60, or "stroke" a 62. (transmissions not withstanding)

Sorry, slight highjack.

I have a 3FE I need to get rid of, I am tired of tripping over it!

grendel said:
Sorry, slight highjack.

I have a 3FE I need to get rid of, I am tired of tripping over it!

Location?

cruiseroutfit said:
Location?

Derry NH. I'd be very happy to rip the head off, with the EFI, computer and anything else required and just ship that.

so, what are the advanteges to this versus say a TBI on a 2F?? not interested in HP#'s. just the pros to 2FE

Unless you are some sort of wiring genie, I'd think that putting 3F-E stuff on a 2F rig, be it a FJ40/55/60 would be a lot more trouble. Putting the 2F block (later version) is really easy. Takes a little time, but not too bad. I may have about 3 hours more work into mine, but most of that was finding the right belts!

About the trans:
I've noticed that my automatic shifts better now with the inrease in torque. I was thinking about a manual swap, but not now.

But some times I secretely wish I had round headlamps...

I have a centech 16 fuse harness that is complete with fuel injection wiring for the computer... so for me it would simply mean putting some fuses back into their slots and hybrid some connections for the efi stuff onto the 2f.

Got a head that needs love with a complete running efi set up...

This is out of my 1990 FJ62.
efi_head.jpg
efi_head1.jpg

What all would be involved with putting a set-up like grendel has onto a 2F?

I have a 1978 FJ-40 (although it is not original motor, I forget what year I pulled it from). I'm going to do a complete rebuild of the motor, so if I need to put in flat-top pistons instead of domed, that wouldn't be a problem. How hard would it be to wire it into my existing harness?

I'd like to not worry about the carb starving on steep inclines.

PS: grendel, is that still available? I know this was an older post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom