2F Water Pump Gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked up a 1985 2F to replace my F that threw a crank bearing. I have been pulling all the external parts off of the block, cleaning and re-tapping holes that were really full of crap/dirt etc... and getting ready for some paint. I pulled off the water pump and cleaned it up prior to re-installation. I pulled the back plate off and it had a fair amount of crap in it. I cleaned it out but my question is this, Is there a gasket that goes between the backer plate and the housing? It almost looked like someone had put in "right stuff" gasket sealer but I am not sure as there was too much crap in there. Gasket, Sealer or no??? Searched the site and could not find a clear answer. Thanks for the help.

2F Water Pump (2).JPG

The pump I bought had a gasket between the housing and the backer plate - it was wrinkled. I took the backer plate off and couldn't use the gasket, so I cut another gasket and used some silicone gasket maker, on each side, to ensure a good seal.

So, gasket and sealer.

hth

I don't see why you can't re seal it using permatex or alike.

Was the gasket paper or rubber? Sorry, what is Permatex? Is this like "Right Stuff" gasket sealer?

Permatex is a brand name. Right stuff is similar by different manufacture. Permatex makes different types of silicone sealants for different applications (water, fuel, hi-temp etc). My old water pump had a thin paper style gasket.

The gasket covers about half of the back side of the water pump. You'll see a straight line across the back of the pump where the gasket used to be. If your timing plate is flat and the pump is flat, a regular gasket will seal the opening just fine. I always rub grease into the gaskets to make them waterproof before mounting them.

The gasket covers about half of the back side of the water pump. You'll see a straight line across the back of the pump where the gasket used to be. If your timing plate is flat and the pump is flat, a regular gasket will seal the opening just fine. I always rub grease into the gaskets to make them waterproof before mounting them.

Do you just rub some regular grease into the paper gasket and then install it with the gasket sealer? Sounds like a cool trick. Thanks.

Just infuse the gasket with regular grease, but don't use the sealer... it won't stick. Just as a personal preference, I like to use gaskets where Toyota originally used them whenever possible. The grease allows me to remove the part and its gasket without ruining anything. If fit-up of the parts is questionable, and I can't be sure that the gasket will work, then I usually clean everything well and use Right Stuff. If you have ever had to pull apart something that has been sealed with the Right Stuff, it will be memorable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom