2F vs F air cleaners (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the process of converting my air cleaner from aftermarket to the F engine style air cleaner on my F.5 engine. I guess one improvement of the 2F air cleaner is space saving in the engine bay, but I was wondering if there's any real/theoretical improvement in the 2F air cleaner's performance. I couldn't find anything in the search so I thought I'd bring up some discussion if there is any? I upgraded to a 2F valve cover so it would probably fit, but the F style seems to hold a bigger filter (bigger=better?) and I'm not really short of space in the engine bay either. Curious to see what y'all think.

I think it’s a good tech question, and if I were a moderator I would move this to tech for you.

The 2F air cleaner has the hot air intake flap, which helps in cold weather areas.

The CA-spec '74 1.5F (like mine ;) ) also has the still-working thermo-flap...

@Rigger Move to tech ?

in my mind the F type filter is better....its much larger of a filter area. when the air pump showed up they needed that space for it, and the only other space for the air cleaner was on top of the motor pinched under the hood.
the F series engine do not rev high enough to have to worry about high tech air cleaner performance. they're only concern is to ensure that particles are removed from the in coming air to the carb.

My '75 air cleaners both drank rain thru the wing-nut hole via the leaky windshield washer nozzle in the hood; one of the carbs is being parted-out because the secondary shaft fossilized. For my '73 it was barely clamp on the air horn, no top hole with wing-nut, IIRC.

My Redline Weber air cleaner in my pickup is swallowing sand, and my first replacement purchase was the wrong one.

I have an FJ60 air cleaner housing that won't work with the '75 IIAC. Free to anyone who will curb-side pick it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom