2F Valve Cover gasket replacement (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

John Staton

SILVER Star
Threads
so I did a search and picked up some comments here and there from larger threads but there was not specific post on this. Probably because its it so darn easy, but still want to cover my bases before I do this as I am chasing a leak and I am almost positive it is at the back of my valve cover. I dont have a bunch of stuff to remove on my 83 as it is desmogged and has a weber 38 carb on it so this could literally take me 30 minutes. My questions about the video below would be:

1. I read on here to maybe use some sort of adhesive to hold it in place if it doesn't want to stay in the groove, but this guy pinches the cover with his pliers to make it hold.....what say you?
2. I have a torque spec sheet and man is it light. This guy doesn't use a torque wrench....would love to see some comments on tightening those 4 bolts...
3. are there gaskets around those 4 bolts on the top of the cover and if so where can I get them.

Video is of a 62 and he has a lot of s*** to move before he gets to taking off and putting on....mine will be much easier.

Yes the valve cover acorn nuts have a rubber seal on the washer (can’t remember the number at the moment) that should be replaced as well. Clean the cover real well and put dabs of RTV about every 6 inches, put the gasket on and let that set up while you check the valve clearances.

The four nuts and washers that hold on the valve cover are special. There is a "neck" on the nut that fits inside the hole in the washer and the washer does have a rubber seal. If your nuts and washers are stuck together, that's OK. If you want to reuse them put a little silicone grease on the surface of the seal. Toyota part numbers are below. Check you Toyota Dealer for availability.

The gasket has little nibs on the inner and outer circumference to help hold the gasket in the groove. I would try the gasket first before putting RTV on.

tighten the inside two bolts first then the outside two. It should really be only tight enough to keep the gasket from leaking. If you are thinking about using a torque wrench, then you will probably get it too tight. Snug it up with your hand around the head of the ratchet (not a the end of the handle).

Valve Cover Nut: 90176-08014
Valve Cover Washer: 90210-31001

1684503531168.png

I have never used sealant on the gasket and never had leaks afterwards. Any good gasket, OEM or aftermarket has ribs that pressure fit in to the valve cover and keep it in place while you're installing. Just clean both mating surfaces well. I tighten the bolts to the recommended 78 inch-lbs in increments, center-out like 2-3-1-4 order. They're designed to be basically finger tight to snug up the seal and that's it.

The rubber seals for the bolts are a nice to have but not critical in my opinion, they only stop oil windage from the valve train through a very small hole versus actually being submerged in oil - I've never seen a leak from those seals.

Perfect...that was the info I was looking for. I ordered the new washers and gasket (both OEM of course) and will do this in a couple of days. I am pretty sure that is my leak. It would be easier to tell if it was transmission verses oil if you didn't use gear oil and it was red...to me they look the same. But all points to this valve cover.

The reason to apply a few dabs of RTV in the valve cover groove is to ensure the gasket stays in the groove when inverting the cover.
What can happen is the gasket falls part way out of the groove when you’re situating the cover — but you can’t see it happening. Then you tighten up the cover and pinch the gasket - ruining it — and you discover the problem much later with oil leaking down the side of the engine.

There’s zero downside to using a couple dabs of RTV in the groove, but potential gasket annihilation if you don’t.

a one banana job that needed to be done. My top end is very clean, which was good to see, and the gasket was long overdue. Really hoping this takes care of my oil leak.
I am desmogged so not a lot of s*** to move:
vcg1.jpg

Valves are very clean and seem to get plenty of oil:
vcg2.jpg

Gasket was hard and pressed down to almost half its size:
vcg3.jpg

Gasket washers that hold the cover down seemed long overdue as well:

vcg4.jpg

I tightened everything down and need to check for leaks today. Will take it out for a drive and see if I get anymore oil on the garage floor. I noticed in the pic someone posted that I am also missing the gasket for the cap and just ordered it from toyotapartsdeal.com I guess even if I still have a leak somewhere else this was long overdue. I would have to guess when I got my valves adjusted some time back that they didn't bother to replace that gasket as it was so hard and compressed. She is running like a finely tuned sewing machine so I didnt see any need to worry about adjusting valves. Will have to learn that skill at a later date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom