2f turbo? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
what are the specs of a turbo'd 2f and what kind of money is involved

im pretty sure you could modify one of those STS turbos to work, i dont think it would be that hard. but in the other hand they are like $4,000. but up on the good side you get 40-50% increase in power

How about nitrous?

On the other hand, wouldn't a discussion of the conditions a bone-stock 2F is suited for, and a list of modifications prioritized by diminishing cost-effectiveness, be useful? Let me start:

1) Tune up re FSM & fix any current defects (i.e. vacuum, intake, exhaust leaks).

2) Consider replacing defective components with higher-performance, reliable aftermarket ones (E.g. ignition, exhaust manifold, catalytic convertor, suspension, etc.).

Contributors to this board agree only occasionally and on narrow issues. The economics of hotting up the 2F are discussed in a thread on the 40 board. I believe that once you take a couple steps down that road you're already upside down.

As the Rock Man says, "You see what you want to see, and you hear what you want to hear".

The 2F is a perfect turbo engine. Low compression, Iron block, etc... as long as it's in good tune and you don't get crazy and run 20 lbs of boost a turbo will have no ill effects on the motor.

It's expensive. You have the initial cost of the kit, plus now you have to buy the 'better' gas, etc...

Brother, for the cost of that turbo you could put in a fuel injected 350. Or a 6.5 liter turbo diesel.

You guys sure know what you are talkin about..

Mace definately knows what he is talking about. I am going to put a turbo into my LC but I need to start making some money first. :grinpimp:

Garrett T04 for me. :cheers:

:beer:

I'd still do the T03
T04 will take longer to spool up.

But they do work :)

Problem is the only "kit" made for these trucks was an AU unit made in the early 80's. Finding one is hard..

HOWEVER, they are stupid easy to make. The only thing that is hard is mking the adapter between the stock exhaust manifold and the turbo. It is about 5" thick and has to have a provision for an adjustable wastegate built in to it.

I have a T3 flange that I am going to mock up to the stock 60 down pipe (with a bit of 2.5" tubing)
the flange cost $30
Turbo cost new - $300
Adjustable wastegate - $150
new exhaust = ~ $250ish
hoses = $80
Tubing for intake = $80
then whatever carb/tbi you want to run..

It does not have to cost 4K it can be done cheaper than what I have posted as well.

Last edited:
Hey Mace, would you mind divulging some details of your "mock up" for the flanges? I am building a turbo for a 2h and need to do the same. Thanks.

-David (iron_giant ...I forgot to login)

that's better,
Anyway, what type of steel did you use? Also, did you just make an adaptor, or did you bend the tubing in a "U" to mount the turbo higher?

-david

Not at all.

But the turbo can reside directly below the stock exhaust manifold on a F/2F so there is no extensive piping.

All I am going to do is take about 5" of the stock down pipe, egg it out slightly, and weld it to the T3 flange. The wastegate has to come out at a 90* angle from the adapter into the exhaust.

I'll go look for a pic

Mild streel works fine.

And it is a straight shot out of the exhaust into the turbo on my setup

You can always buy a turbo with an internal wastegate. Not as efficient, but easier to mount.

My DDs for the last 14 years have been 5-cyl turbo Audis. They were designed & produced by folks who obviously knew what they were doing, as they've been bulletproof.

I don't think any one person has enough time & money left in their life to do a proper turbo job to a 2F and get the kind of reliability it came with. Sure, it would be fun, but mostly frustrating & expensive. There are much better ways to get HP & torque a lot cheaper & quicker.

Tinker said:
Sure, it would be fun, but mostly frustrating & expensive. There are much better ways to get HP & torque a lot cheaper & quicker.

Out of a 2F? Name a few...

No, not out of a 2F, I believe he's referring to a motor swap. I like the turbo diesel idea.

internally wastegated turbos typically are either larger and harder to fit or on the small size for a 2F.

Tinker,
This is not rocket science. and it is not particularly expensive. Believe what you want.
Reliability? most of the time the turbo will not be in use. That is the neat thing about turbos, they are an on demmand thing. You might lose a bit of life from a 300K motor but you would never get that out of a V8 conversion (although a diesel you probably would)

wesintl, no I do not have a link or website. The one that I am doing for the new 60 will have info tho..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom