2f to v8 advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm finally giving in to a v-8 change out. Could use some advice to make it less painful. I have a rebuilt 350 out of 84 suburban and a 700r rebuilt for wheeling. All my friends have 40's so I'm in new territory. Would appriciate some advice.Thanks Boise, Idaho

I'm finally giving in to a v-8 change out. Could use some advice to make it less painful. I have a rebuilt 350 out of 84 suburban and a 700r rebuilt for wheeling. All my friends have 40's so I'm in new territory. Would appriciate some advice.Thanks Boise, Idaho

Use the search function... There are a MILLION threads about this topic already.

Look at the new build sticky at the top of the forum. There are some great threads on different projects and installations.

Use the search function... There are a MILLION threads about this topic already.
Being in a similar position and having done the search and then a differently phrased search, and then used something else entirely, this is a terribly unhelpful answer. There are those millions of posts on the topic and finding real info vs. folks discussing what-not is exceptionally time consuming.

I've yet to try the builds sticky, hopefully that will bear fruit.

And to help you both out if you shoot me your Emails I will forward you my build up sheets with the stuff you would need. :D

That should get you a head start.

I did my engine swap prior to the wealth of info on the web, and found that Advanced Adapters sold some pretty nice kits. The guys at Man-A-Fre (steve) treated me right and got me all set up. It was pretty painless and my first ever engine swap. Best of Luck. So Easy a Caveman Could Do It :)

Bryan,

Plan on it taking a lot longer than you think and costing a lot more. Exhaust, new radiator, tranny cooler, hoses, wiring, etc... It all adds up. I would definitely do the 700r4 with the 350. I wouldn't do one without EFI.

I'm not suppose to advertise on the forum, BUT I'd want to get one of these freebie books if I could. It has alot of FJ60 specific info in it.
EC_EK_0003.jpg

Check out downy's book and advance adapters material too. I pretty sure they make an adapter that mates the 700 trans to the yota transfercase. you mostlikely have to screw with the driveshafts (lengths) and fabricate a new crossmember mount. I think it would be a good swap. Does the 350 engine you have run an electronic GM carb?

Yes, Bryan call up Downey and ask them for their book. It is pretty thorough. Having their wiring diagram saved my hide a few times when something needed work.

Doing the 700r4 isn't bad. You buy the adapter to bolt up to the stock transfer case. You can reuse the stock crossmember but it needs to be moved and driveshaft mods are necessary. I'm thinking the rear needs to be shortened and the front needs to be lengthened. I can't remember it has been years since I worked on a 60 with a 700r4. If that is the case, I have a driveshaft you could probably use to get shortened so you wouldn't need to buy the tubing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom