2F Tick Diagnosis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need help diagnosing a potential cam tick.

Its most pronounced on the passenger side of the oil pan by pistons 5 and 6.

I pulled the oil pan expecting to find pieces of bearing and didn’t find much. I pulled a couple end caps to inspect the bearings and found what I think is only minor scaring and what looks to be a fairly decent crank. The clearance of the rods to the crank all were 0.08 and there was no side to side movemnt

Can it be the push rods and cam?
What’s next to diagnose the issue?
0292BFBD-CC74-427B-9564-23E3AC3FD4E3.jpeg
28B184BE-B1D1-42AD-AEBD-DC4070776A82.jpeg

Look up while you have the pan off, how are the lobes on your camshaft?
2 of the 12 had slight scoring but nothing major. Less scoring on those than the picture of the bushing in my original post. All the others looked brand new.

That being said is it worth pulled the heading and checking the lifters?

Last edited:
Loosen all your belts so they have no tension at all and then run it for a short time to see if any different. If noise goes away it’s likely the harmonic balancer. If noise is same then something internal.

use a long screwdriver with the vc cover off and engine running to listen to each rocker cap to see if one is a lot noisier.

also with engine running and good heavy leather gloves pull one spark plug wire off at a time. See if any one cylinder eliminates the noise.

That video isn't helpful . Engine sounds like most of the clanky 2Fs on this forum.
Adjust the valves

Loosen all your belts so they have no tension at all and then run it for a short time to see if any different. If noise goes away it’s likely the harmonic balancer. If noise is same then something internal.

use a long screwdriver with the vc cover off and engine running to listen to each rocker cap to see if one is a lot noisier.

also with engine running and good heavy leather gloves pull one spark plug wire off at a time. See if any one cylinder eliminates the noise.
Nice, will do.

2 of the 12 had slight scoring but nothing major. Less scoring on those than the picture of the bushing in my original post. All the others looked brand new.

That being said is it worth pulled the heading and checking the lifters?
If you wanted to pull the lifters to inspect you could get to them through the side cover as opposed to pulling the head.

As an update, I tuned the valves and then check compression. All above 150 psi.

I pulled the side cover to inspect the rods and lifters. Lifters look fine but one of the push rods is a little bent.

This feels like I’m getting closer to the issue. Could this cause a tick? Any issue with swapping in a new one or do all have to be changed?

Last edited:
No issue in changing only one lifter.

please correct me if i'm off base, but usually a tick is valve train related n bottom end issues are a heavier sound, knocking, at least that's what i've come across :meh:

please correct me if i'm off base, but usually a tick is valve train related n bottom end issues are a heavier sound, knocking, at least that's what i've come across :meh:
Sounds right. And I hope it’s the valve train.

I’ve got new push rods order. There looks to be atleast two rods that are bent. So we will see.

These are going on tonight. Hopefully this will do the trick.

image.jpg

Last edited:
In total 4 were bent. Replaced the whole set to be sure.

But to no avail. Still makes the same noise. Has to be bottom end or balancer.

Other than over tightening rockers, what else causes push rods to get bent? Play in the cam shaft from worn out bearings?

In total 4 were bent. Replaced the whole set to be sure.

But to no avail. Still makes the same noise. Has to be bottom end or balancer.

Other than over tightening rockers, what else causes push rods to get bent? Play in the cam shaft from worn out bearings?

a stick valve could result in a bent pushrod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom