2F TBI Megasquirt EFI (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
To anyone that is interested out there, I wanted to post up some pictures and info about doing Megasquirt on a 2F. My cousin recently started building a 1974 FJ40 that had previously been converted to a carb'd V8. When he acquired the truck it had not been working for about 10 years. He had a nice 2F sitting in his shop ready to go in and wanted to fuel inject it. I offered to help since he wanted something different than a lot of the kits on the market that come pre-tuned and I had done a few builds with Megasquirt.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I'm going to post several photos here and with some brief descriptions and a basic parts list if you want to do Megasquirt on your 2F using a Chevy TBI.

This was my first go at a Megasquirt install and I pretty much just copied the DIY Autotune write up on a tbi chevy 350 megasquirt 2 install then applied it to an inline 6. You can get a good idea of what i did just by reading this article. MegaSquirt Carb to EFI Conversion - Part 1: TBI Fuel Only - DIYAutoTune.com

Most of the information you need is on a video series i did about this build on my youtube channel. I only took a few pictures of the process but I have quite a bit of video that I will link to below. The videos are mostly overviews of my progress every time I worked on it. I go into depth about what I did and what parts i used, so dont worry if you are not satisfied with the information in this thread. Much more is available in the videos. Feel free to comment in the videos and i will get back to you asap.

Here is the link to my build playlist (I talk pretty slow so you can watch them on 1.5x speed for best use of your time :) )
Megasquirt FJ40 - YouTube

Overall the project was a success! It runs great and sounds clean and healthy. However, I have not driven the truck more than around our fields. I will post and update as soon i get it out on the roads and drive it.

I am more than happy to send you my megasquirt base tune file if you interested just PM me and i will send it over. the fuel and ignition maps are totally rough but it has all the right settings to run the motor.

Basic Parts list:
Megasquirt 2 assembled from DIY Autotune (modified for HEI ignition input) $468
8' wiring harness $83
Assembled Relay board $104
Relay board harness $89
Gm air temp and coolant sensors $30
Fuelpump kit $100
Junkyard TBI $40
TBI rebuild kit $15
3/8 pushlock hose $30
random pushlock fititngs $50
DUI Toyota distributor and wires (Modified for 7 wire HEI module) ~$550
TBI to toyota adapter ~$100
TBI air cleaner ~$70
AEM UEGO Wideband $170
Blue Sea 6 fuse block $30
80amp Main relay $15

I will update this list when I remember more things, this is a basic list that gives a good idea of what is needed. If your looking at this list and thinking that its kind of expensive well ... it is. knowing what i know now i would do it much differently if i did it again. I have done a hand full of Microsquirt installs and i would just use a microsquirt if i did it again. The main reason i used everything i did was because i didnt want to get in over my head on the first shot at megasquirt. So i just followed the DIY Autotune article and ordered everything they said to order for the build.

I Hope this info and videos gives you an idea of how simple megasquirt really is. It seems daunting at first but once you install one you wont think its all that bad. The megasquirt itself needs like 15 wires to run the motor, just hooking up the sensors correctly and reading wiring diagrams is really the most difficult part. Regardless of what motor your running the fundamentals of efi work basically the same on all motors. Just take some time and read a lot about EFI and Megasquirt before you start. Then you will have a better understanding of what everything is doing in the system.

20170626_141344.jpg

20170513_134311.jpg

20170513_142201.jpg

20170603_125049.jpg

Last edited:
You didn't want to go with a AFI kit?

This project for me was pretty much about learning how to install megasquirt and learning how to tune engines. Its more or less a science project to learn about EFI tuning. I have a couple mates running stock GM computer style kits on 2f engines and they all seem to have little bugs that we didn't like. With megasquirt you can tune the fueling and ignition requirements exactly for the motor and performance needs.

This project for me was pretty much about learning how to install megasquirt and learning how to tune engines. Its more or less a science project to learn about EFI tuning. I have a couple mates running stock GM computer style kits on 2f engines and they all seem to have little bugs that we didn't like. With megasquirt you can tune the fueling and ignition requirements exactly for the motor and performance needs.

I just installed a TBI kit from Man-a-fre. They sell the GM style computer. We got it done and the FJ turned over a few times and then stopped. Tried jumping, we have plenty of power but the starter won’t seem to turn it over now. Just had the started rebuilt too. Is there anything else that could cause that the starter to act up? Gel battery too. Driving me crazy. Help

FYI boys and girls, I still manufacture the TBI adapters and cast aluminum air cleaners shown above, but I am slightly changing the air cleaner top lid, I'm removing the "throttle body injection" letters since guys want to use this air cleaner on other carburetor or fuel injection applications since it is off-set away from the brake master cylinder (see first photo above)

LuketheDuke, check ground wires, check power wire to starter for tightness, and check purple wire in TBI harness that I believe gives extra cranking power & fuel enrichment on starting.

I think I figured it out. I had the fuel line in the wrong location and it was crating a Hydrolock issue. Going to rerun fuel line and pull plugs. Hopefully didn’t damage the shaft...

Nice job on the install. I am curious what your target AFR table values are. . I’m still working on how lean I can run the 2F. Running a Megasquirt 1 v2.2 extra code. Currently fuel only.

I’ve got about 2000 miles so far on my Megasquirt install. Unlike the OP I kept it simple and did a fuel only install of Megasquirt. Also I used a Megasquirt 1 vs the OP’s Megasquirt 2.

Some observations:

The hardest part of this install was sifting through the vast amount of literature. To get the most out of Megasquirt or any EFI system you gotta read the literature. As I’ve done a few Megasquirt installs it didn’t take me too long to wire it up on the FJ40.

It starts right up and idles beautifully. I have mine set at 650rpm. I have idled it down to 400 but that required me dumping more fuel to keep the idle stable.

The fuel map took about 2-3 hrs for me to dial in. For those thinking of doing this install it’s worth it to purchase a copy of TunerStudioMS. It come with an autotune feature that I found worked quite well for dialing in your VE table. Another cool option was the warm up enrichment autotune. I did both my VE table and warm up tables by hand but the autotune was close to my #’s. Autotune requires a wide band O2 sensor.

It drives better than my carbureted 2F ever did. I did not have the Aisin Carburetor. The P.O. had a crappy Rochester 2 barrel that fell flat on its face at anything above 3000 rpm. I regularly do 60-65 mph and haven’t had any issues with it.

Eventually I’ll wire it up to control spark as well but the fj60 dizzy does a really good job as is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom