2F Side Panel Rod Cover re-gasket project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Kicking off the project to replace leaking cork gasket on the side cover of my motor.
Will update w more pics as I go, but as I was pulling my dizzy (which came out with just a tug) I noticed one of the screws was different than the other two.
Mechanic who worked on this before used what I would call a “placeholder” screw to keep dizzy cap down. It didn’t screw into the metal of the dizzy. Was just sitting there. Always finding things that previous “mechanics” have half-assed over the years.
D03AE638-47D5-4E5E-903B-56A977DD7490.jpeg

Also noted that I’ll be doing the oil galley plug while I’m in here. What a greasy gunky mess the back and bottom of this motor is!
B6490D19-58EE-4B78-A9B5-8F4AD878BC0F.jpeg

I need to do this again soon. I have the gasket just waiting for some nicer weather. Did it about 5 years ago, this time I will use fipg or spray on RTV. Are you going to mark the location of the dizzy and the pointer so you can stab it back in right? I worry about getting off a tooth. BTW I think my dizzy is the same...two screws holding the cap and one stripped. That is some half assed fix by the PO putting a wood screw in there.

Yeah - the wood screw dizzy hack. More HP for sure. LOLs.
I had just replaced my thermostat prior to this picture above - there’s a Preston “quick flush”hose connect right above the heater core inlet and that’s where I got the air out from, hence the antifreeze all over) another PO mechanic’s charm - he replaced the radiator did but not check the thermostat, I had a no heat cause the thermostat was broken and stuck open)

in surprise you’re doing the side panel after just 5 years. I never want to do this again.

I just bought some generic valve cover hold down spreaders for a V-8 for when i do this again. Seems like it will spread out the tension, and help it seal without over-tourqing, and bending the panel.

PS. the 60 factory manual description and graphic are wrong on distrib gear angle insert , so do some searching here, and mark the tooth/rotor angle VERY well when you pull it.

PSS. Make sure the flat blade on the bottom of distrib fits all the way down into its seat. the gear on the distrib is driving the oil pump too.. And check the pin holding the gear on, they can loosen and shear off, leaving you road side, with no idea what went wrong.

Thanks.

Good advice for sure.

Took some fiddling but was able to get the dizzy flat blade inserted correctly - not without some challenges. Had to do several times. I could see it would be easy to install the dizzy without it being completely inserted.

Take a photo of the base of the distributor before you pull the distributor (if it's not too late) and be SURE it's fully seated when you are done. I was sure mine was, but the photo showed otherwise.

I'll be following this thread since the side cover of my 3FE has leaked for many years and I'd like to finally get it done this summer. Need to give the outside of my engine on that side a good cleaning at the same time and if I can pull it off, redo my oil cooler as well for peace of mind.

@morganism are these similar to what you used? Very smart idea.
https//www.summitracing.com/parts/opg-g221468

Last edited:
i can't see that link for some reason, but i found some nearly flat base, fairly long triangle ones. think they were 7 bucks. Autozone. Had to order for pickup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom