2F Runs only when cranking starter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1976 2F engine runs only when I am cranking the starter. As soon as I let the ignition key fall back to the 'run' position the engine cuts out. As the engine runs, I am assuming coil/ignitor is OK. Distributor, too. Suspect wiring voodoo or timing issues. Any thoughts?

I bet you have the wrong wire connected to the distributor. Get a volt meter and make sure the wire on the distributor has power in the ON and the crank positions.

Possibly bad ignition switch too. Mine actually used to engage the starter every time I shut my truck off. It's not an overly expensive part If I recall correctly.

Does a 76 have the ballast resistor bypass wire from the starter?

That would explain it if so.

make sure your choke butterfly did'nt jam shut.pull the air cleaner and check.
and while your there pull your throttle linkage and see if you get fuel in the carb.

the choke thing happened to me in the dead of winter once.
did alot of replacing of parts before i realized what had realy happened. :eek:

As e rock mentioned I think your ballast resistor may be the issue. Check it with Ohm meter to see if it's toast.

Rice

two things:

1. You recently changed ignition, and you have not supplied the thick black/yellow and thin black/yellow with the correct power. One is switced and one is run. You need to make sure they are hooked up correctly.

2. Your ignition switch broke in side the cylinder or is worn out enough not to make a contact (unlikey)

C. A wire came loose/something fried in your ignition. The technical links has a wiring diagram - consult that.

cheers,

ragman

dmaddox said:
2. Your ignition switch broke in side the cylinder or is worn out enough not to make a contact (unlikey)

Dallas,
I'd just like to say that this is, in fact, very likely. You can open up the ignition switch on these 20-30 year old trucks and find a handful of copper dust. That dust used to be contacts. I had to replace the original ignition switch on my '78 because the switch had worn to the point that the accessories contact would no longer make. ;)

Todd Bull

I agree Todd, however - my point was that this wear does not all of a sudden just whamo happen - or do I need to eat crow pie?

It would seem to me that the wear would cause a sporatic problem, and then not work - not be funcitoning all normal and then blink, done.

Thanks for keeping me straight. We need to find out what he's doing - op, you there?

ragman

dmaddox said:
It would seem to me that the wear would cause a sporatic problem, and then not work - not be funcitoning all normal and then blink, done.

Thanks for keeping me straight. We need to find out what he's doing - op, you there?

You'd think so, but they do seem to fail all-of-a-sudden. That last, thin piece of copper that used to be the contact probably just breaks off or burns off.

I wasn't trying to keep you straight. There was no need to. You provided good suggestions and I was just trying to add my support to suggestion #2.

:beer:

Todd.

Ballast resistor has failed.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom