2F Rod bolt broke (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When my machinist was checking the bearing clearances one of the rod bolts broke. He is familiar with these engines and was using the correct torque. when i tore the motor down i didn't see any evidence of anyone being in the bottom end before who could have over torqued them. This makes me very nervous about the rest of them. is there any way i can measure the stretch on the others? I have several other 2F/3F motors i could swap the rod bolts from. The only new ones i can find are from SOR $20/piece, i've searched and see there are not any direct replacements. Any thoughts?

There are some threads of people using ARP bolts with slight modification, but 'spensive.

This is just a representative thread, there are some way more recent.

I don't know of any way to measure stretch on bolts without destructive testing. nevermind...i deferred to my primate brain. A bolt on a bench could be measured and compared to spec. I suspect it could become work hardened and more likely to break. In place and torqued down you could also measure the length of the bolt with the proper dial indicator. Set to 0 with nut off, and measured as the nut was tightened.

If the Toyota OEM parts are NLA you might.....I see @Spike Strip beat me to the idea.

I will say that the advantage you have on using another rod bolt not originally intended for the 2F is that once clearance issues are resolved the operational stresses should be quite a bit lower due to the slower revving. The studs in a Supra likely see much higher loading than any 2F will ever see.

Last edited:
It occurs to me that you could also look at the other toyota engines to see if they have rod bolts that might be compatible.

The part number referenced for the ARP studs comes up with a kit price on Summit racing of:
1601490498277.png

1601490525069.png

Seems worthy of investigating how much work needs to be done for the heads to clear

There are some threads of people using ARP bolts with slight modification, but 'spensive.

This is just a representative thread, there are some way more recent.

thanks, i've read that before. I couldn't find any other posts on others using the supra bolts maybe i'm just stupid when it comes to searching. has anyone had any problems with them. doesn't seem like much work to get them to work. and $80 for a set of ARP is way better than $240 stock from SOR

Those ARP bolts are installed by measuring bolt stretch and not torque. Keep that in mind.

@Yspen used modded ARP bolts, pic in this post.

*edit* - Looks like SpikeStrip's link already has the same pics in it.

Last edited:
Broken bolt most likely just a fluke. You don't need ARP rod bolts

I think the arp were mention because the op was having trouble finding a replacement bolt and the arp price seemed reasonable. If an oem can be sourced that would be the easiest way to go.

In my 2F rebuild I used the ARP bolts as I believed at the time it would be an improvement over OEM.
Probably was overkill but it worked well .
Very important that the heads needs to be cut as shown in picture . I asked the guys that did balancing of the engine parts to do the cutting of the bolts .
The bolts were torqued to specs .

I think the arp were mention because the op was having trouble finding a replacement bolt and the arp price seemed reasonable. If an oem can be sourced that would be the easiest way to go.
I have plenty of stock bolts from other motors. It just stresses me out that this one broke in the motor I’m rebuilding. Seems very odd to me, has me nervous about the others. I’ll probably use the arp for piece of mind

I have plenty of stock bolts from other motors. It just stresses me out that this one broke in the motor I’m rebuilding. Seems very odd to me, has me nervous about the others. I’ll probably use the arp for piece of mind

yes. Understood. I meant if you could get a new OEM pair.

I found these on toyotapartsdeal for pretty cheap. Here are the OEM part numbers for the stud (bolt) and nut:

bolt: 90101-10063
nut: 90170-10198

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom