2F rebuild or adjustment - help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I have been contemplating whether my 78 40 needs to stay in my garage or move on to another one (someone else's). My 40 is de-smogged and has the original Aisan Carb and probably Dizzy. When I drive it, the exhaust fume smell can be rough. Not while driving but when I start it up in the garage and sometimes while parking, at traffic lights, etc. I am trying to figure out if it's just what I will need to live with to be able to enjoy her or if I need to get someone to look at a possible rebuild to hopefully get a cleaner burn and less bad exhaust.
So... what do you suggest I do? I am comfortable with minor work on vehicles but when it comes to tearing one down, it's above my comfort zone. @Trollhole , is this something you either would do or can you refer me to someone?
I have to drive the 40 this week and my top is still on. This morning wasn't bad but while at lunch, I now smell like exhaust sitting in my office. I am just trying to figure out what I should get looked at and whether an entire rebuild is what I should do or simply start with adjustments and see where that gets me? I haven't compression checked it so that may be he first thing I need to do.

Emissions should be worse with a desmog, but power should go up.

You should be able to tune her up (plugs, points, timing, adjust carb) and adjust the valves to improve the exhaust smell. Might also need to rebuild the carb or put on a Trollhole.

Why are you thinking engine rebuild? How many miles?

Don

Emissions should be worse with a desmog, but power should go up.

You should be able to tune her up (plugs, points, timing, adjust carb) and adjust the valves to improve the exhaust smell. Might also need to rebuild the carb or put on a Trollhole.

Why are you thinking engine rebuild? How many miles?

Don

I get some smoke from time to time. Usually at start up after I have been driving for a while, when it's warmed up. Like today after stopping for lunch. Not bad but some. I figure smoke meant a rebuild might be needed.

The PO said it was rebuilt just before he had it repainted which was about 12 years ago. if that's the case, it would have less than 10K miles on it as I have had it 6 years and have only put 1-2K miles in that time period. ODO shows just under 90K.

Trollhole repaired an exhaust leak at the Manifold about 2 years ago and I thought that's where most of the exhaust smell was coming from. It sounds much better but runs worse now. I was running an electric fuel pump then, too so my old mechanical fuel pump may be part of the issue where it doesn't run as strong now.

Sounds like a full tune-up may be the first step. I just need to get it somewhere to get that done. Thanks for the quick reply.

May still have an exhaust leak. Mine on the 60 leaks at the manifold even after trying to redo the gasket. Of course no real comparison btw the two rigs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom