2F Rebuild: Next Steps? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I figured out why the camshaft won’t come out: It’s hitting the lifters that are rusted in the block. There was so much gunk in there I didn’t even know they were there (the lifter rods had been removed). So now I have to figure out how to get them out. I sprayed them good with Kroil. We’ll see if I can loosen them up. Problem is, I can’t get the Crankshaft off unless I get the Camshaft off do I can remove the end plate.

And suggestions of how to remove the Lifters? Work from inside the block and push them out towards the head? Push from the top of the block head to loosen and then push out from the bottom of the block?
Keeping in mind that your camshaft will be replaced, after a few days of soaking the bores with Kroil see if you can rock the cam
back and forth with a pipe wrench or other leverage multiplying device. You only have to move the lifters a little to get the cam out.
Once it is out you will have better access to drive the lifters out the rest of the way.

Last edited:
I was hoping the camshaft is salvageable. Perhaps not.

from the sounds of what you are working with, there may not be much that is salvageable.

X2 on rotating the cam to raise the lifters if possible

I was hoping the camshaft is salvageable. Perhaps not.
Maybe if you were very gentle and rigged something that didn't damage the cam it would still need to be reground and re-hardened.
I would just buy a new camshaft of your choosing and obviously new lifters. The bores may need to be lightly honed to clean them up.
I would try to save the pushrods by carefully polishing them.

Last edited:
Maybe if you were very gentle and rigged something that didn't damage the cam it would still need to be reground and re-hardened.
I would just buy a new camshaft of your choosing and obviously new lifters. The bores may need to be lightly honed to clean them up.
I would try to save the pushrods by carefully polishing them.

Are decent camshafts available for 2F engines?

I was able to remove the Camshaft after working several hours and turning on the camshaft and pounding on the lifters. Tenacity. The Cam doesn't actually look too bad, but I'll let the machinist look at it and tell me if its trash or not. The Crankshaft looks decent, but again, until its cleaned and looked over by a machinist, I don't know for sure. Looks like I'll probably get the Pistons out too, pushing them out the top of the block. Lots of rust in Cylinder 1 & 2. Don't know if there is pitting or not. The Piston connecting rods on 1& 2 look to be shot, but who knows. My biggest concern is the block/cylinders. It could turn out to be a giant paper weight. I'll find out eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom