2F oil pump - ferrule, banjo bolt help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I'm putting a 2F/3F oil pump in 1974 FJ40 I've been working on. It has a 1F engine that was replaced at some point in the past, but I'm seeing evidence of oiling issues on the camshaft lobes; I was told that the 2F/3F pump is better at oiling the engine. I got a couple things holding me up.

0. Can anybody recommend a ferrule puller so I can get the old one off the current (1F) cam oiling pipe to reuse on my new 2F pipe? I assume it's something metric, or BSPP, or something; the ferrule pullers I've seen are for domestic plumbers it seems.

1. The banjo bolt that holds the pipe to the new pump (P/N 90401-14093) is unobtainium. I'd like to source an equivalent replacement from the local piping/plumbing supply shops if I can; I was trying to decipher the specs from the P/N using this guide: FAQ - Understanding Toyota Hardware Part Numbers And Other Part Numbering Thoughts - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/understanding-toyota-hardware-part-numbers-and-other-part-numbering-thoughts.1177159/

...but came up with nothing. Can anybody help me out?

I realize the location differences for the 2F oiling system vs the 1F; I'll figure something out for the additional plumbing required. But first, need to be able to attach the pipe to the pump.

Thanks!

Are you not able to source a 1974 oil pump?

I can't swear to this, but I always thought the pipe fittings on the 40s were BSPP. Maybe I dreamed that.

I just ran across this. I'm not sure what an "olive puller" is, but I think I want one...FWIW the "G" comes from the German for "thread" (gewinde) - I'm pretty sure this photo is BSTP
1668014385072.png

BSPP & BSPT both have the same dimensions (diameter, pitch, thread angle) the difference being the taper only.

Hey guys,

I'm putting a 2F/3F oil pump in 1974 FJ40 I've been working on. It has a 1F engine that was replaced at some point in the past, but I'm seeing evidence of oiling issues on the camshaft lobes; I was told that the 2F/3F pump is better at oiling the engine. I got a couple things holding me up.

0. Can anybody recommend a ferrule puller so I can get the old one off the current (1F) cam oiling pipe to reuse on my new 2F pipe? I assume it's something metric, or BSPP, or something; the ferrule pullers I've seen are for domestic plumbers it seems.

1. The banjo bolt that holds the pipe to the new pump (P/N 90401-14093) is unobtainium. I'd like to source an equivalent replacement from the local piping/plumbing supply shops if I can; I was trying to decipher the specs from the P/N using this guide: FAQ - Understanding Toyota Hardware Part Numbers And Other Part Numbering Thoughts - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/understanding-toyota-hardware-part-numbers-and-other-part-numbering-thoughts.1177159/

...but came up with nothing. Can anybody help me out?

I realize the location differences for the 2F oiling system vs the 1F; I'll figure something out for the additional plumbing required. But first, need to be able to attach the pipe to the pump.

Thanks!
How about these guys? I haven't thoroughly searched their catalog, but there might be something there. If all else fails, PM me and I'll make one for you.

How about these guys? I haven't thoroughly searched their catalog, but there might be something there. If all else fails, PM me and I'll make one for you.

Nice - yeah I saw a few of those "olive pullers" around but wasn't sure if it was right for this. Also gotta figure out how to put the ferrule on the new pipe without damage. I'll check out the fittings supplier once I get the 2F banjo pipe (ordered from a Japanese supplier since it was permanently out of stock for domestics) and the OPT17 oil pump.

I appreciate it, I'll PM you if these don't work out. Thanks!

Welp, the banjo pipe is out of stock from the supplier, going to try a different supplier. Anybody happen to have a junked/core 2F/3F that I could get the rocker feed pipe and banjo bolt from?

OK, update: so I been learning (woohoo, learning!), and this motor is a 1.5F. I took off the original oil pump today and it turns out the cam feed port is in the same location; so I guess now I have an extra banjo pipe and bolt. I got a the 1987 OE pan that all the vendors are selling, so the baffles wrap around the pickup just fine.

Thanks all for the help. Next, I gotta desludge the engine (huge chunks under the pushrod cover, worst I've ever seen) and do the head gasket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom