2F Oil pump clearance to crankshaft question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was down at my local machine shop and they had an 85 2F short block that had recently been rebuilt. The mechanic told me the owner installed it and it had a slight knock when it was first started up. Guess after they gave up trying to figure it out they went ahead rebuilt a second block. they then determined later that it was the crankshaft coming into contact with the oil pump. I dont have any knowledge of prior history so I was curious if there is a chance the wrong oil pump may have been installed or something was missing such as a shim plate or?

The owner said he would sell it for $600.00. It was decked, new camshaft, bearings and bored .30 over. I was looking at at least that and possibly more for the unknown condition long block I was dropping off.

Should I pass or take a chance? Any possibility they had installed the oil pump wrong? I also indicated I wanted a warranty.

Too many unknowns, I think. 600 isn't a bad price but I would still pass. my $.02. If the crank is in fact hitting the oil pump...it was not built correctly.

my hunch is they are wrong about that.

I was down at my local machine shop and they had an 85 2F short block that had recently been rebuilt. The mechanic told me the owner installed it and it had a slight knock when it was first started up. Guess after they gave up trying to figure it out they went ahead rebuilt a second block. they then determined later that it was the crankshaft coming into contact with the oil pump. I dont have any knowledge of prior history so I was curious if there is a chance the wrong oil pump may have been installed or something was missing such as a shim plate or?

The owner said he would sell it for $600.00. It was decked, new camshaft, bearings and bored .30 over. I was looking at at least that and possibly more for the unknown condition long block I was dropping off.

Should I pass or take a chance? Any possibility they had installed the oil pump wrong? I also indicated I wanted a warranty.
What machine shop in the area were you using? Im in temecula area, would like to know of a good shop to take a head block or crank for some machine work if required. Yes, I do realize this thread is 8 years old :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom