2F oil cooler / filter housing questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My oil cooler started seeping coolant around the lower tube the other day, I could probably braze it shut no problem but then I started wondering how many people have just ditched the whole cooler and sourced a stand alone filter housing.

Is there such a thing as just a filter mount without the cooler? Block off plate?

I am torn between eliminating as many potential cooling leaks as possible but still keeping the oil cooler for piece of mind. I rarely wheel in temps above 80* and run 20W50 oil if that makes any difference -

Thanks.

Hey Hay. I've got the plain ol' filter mount if you want it. PM me if you want it.
Actually I have 2, one with sending unit mount and the other without...your choice.

Ed

Sweet! PM sent and thanks again Ed for having all the stuff sitting around to fix my shi@t

:beer:

cooler is always beter for a motor... if i hade a oil cooler i would run it

rogersfj401969 said:
cooler is always beter for a motor... if i hade a oil cooler i would run it

Agreed - a GOOD oil cooler is one thing, a BAD one is just a potential for disaster on two systems - lube and cooling ;)

I'll probably upgrade to a radiator with a couple cooling loops next, one for PS and one for engine oil. I'm just doing a hose inspection and probably will block off my heater core with some 1/4 turn valves to eliminate that as a potential leak point as well.

On a side note - cooler is not always better, lower combustion temps also lower horsepower. I've seen high flow headers and aluminum manifolds lose enough heat that there is no net HP gain from the increased flow.

haystax said:
On a side note - cooler is not always better, lower combustion temps also lower horsepower. I've seen high flow headers and aluminum manifolds lose enough heat that there is no net HP gain from the increased flow.

but the F/2F is no LS1 motor, they are not a high HP motor to start with and that not what they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom