2F Nightmare Saga- Looking For Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PCV sorted, no hoses or vacuum holes left and disto sorted according to @Spike Strip’s direction (Thanks!). The last thing that I think could be an issue is the hose that goes from the fitting on the carb riser (L shaped fitting, comes out facing towards front driver fender is plugged, don’t know where that goes)

Engine just turns and turns but does not start. I’m sure it is something stupid I’m missing but I’ve gone over it many times looking for the culprit.

Re-check your timing. Base ignition timing on the 2F is super finnicky.

I followed this pretty carefully so I think the timing is on. What variable could I be missing with the timing? Thanks

Are you sure the #1 piston (at radiator side of engine) was at TDC on Compression stroke?

Are you sure the #1 piston (at radiator side of engine) was at TDC on Compression stroke?

This is something I was thinking about. I wasn't sure, but I thought as long as the flywheel was lined up I was ok. I was alone so I was unable to do the finger-in-sparkplug-hole check.

I will get someone to help me and try again, thanks!

With the valve cover off, the rocker arms for the #1 piston will both be loose (valves fully closed) on compression, then align the flywheel mark to TDC groove.

I've seen someone loosely stick a cork in the spark plug hole and when it pops out (and also made a wheezing noise), you know you're on the compression cycle.

Make sure your plug wires are on in the correct order.

Mark the BB and tDC line on the flywheel w/ whiteout. You’ll be able to turn it easily from underneath w/ plugs removed. Then when all plugs out standing at the nose, stick your finger in the number 1 hole. Turn alt nut and as you turn you’ll feel the pressure of the air. More equals compression. Look toward the flywheel sight window (edged of block low on passenger side) and you’ll see the white markings.

Last edited:
Victory!!!!!!

Still needs to be fully timed, but I got it baselined and running. Timing and valve adjustment tomorrow.

Runs pretty nice and smooth but not a lot of power up above about 2800 rpm. I'm hoping tomorrow's tune-up will fix it.

Thanks again to everyone for their help!

My 2f doesn’t have a lot of power beyond 2800. Think that’s just the way these are built stock. The power is all between idle and about 2500

Victory!!!!!!

Still needs to be fully timed, but I got it baselined and running. Timing and valve adjustment tomorrow.

Runs pretty nice and smooth but not a lot of power up above about 2800 rpm. I'm hoping tomorrow's tune-up will fix it.

Thanks again to everyone for their help!

Where did you set the timing? Bumping it up around 9-11 can help with squeezing out a little more power.

Where did you set the timing? Bumping it up around 9-11 can help with squeezing out a little more power.

I did the timing today. I set the bb just at the edge of the timing window. I have no idea what the number would be but it sounds ok besides the valve tapping. Valve adjustment tomorrow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom