2F Motor Turns Freely But Starter Won't Turn It Over (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Mud,

Some of you may have seen my thread on the nightmare 2F I have been dealing with for the past two years. I have decided to go in a new direction and just find a good used replacement. Fortunately, I was able to find what is said to be a lower mile engine out of another 60 for a great price from a forum member. He has it from a parts truck that he purchased, PO said it ran when parked (how typical!). I was planning to go look at it tomorrow and the seller was nice enough to try to get compression numbers for me but is having an issue that is stumping both of us. The video does it more justice than I can.

What are we missing? Thanks

This may not be helpful given that the motor isn’t inside a chassis, but the 60 I am working on had a starting issue that sounded exactly like yours. It had been sitting in a field for a year. I replaced the starter and it did not help.

What fixed the issue for me was replacing all of the ground cables, and all of the power cables. Not sure if this will be helpful with your situation, but that’s what did the trick for me. Good luck!

if the motor turns over by hand well and the starter can't then he has an electrical issue. Is he using a battery, or a jump box? Needs to try running both cables to the starter itself.

the starter sounds like its starved of juice. If its the 3rd starter doing that, its a poor connection at the battery or the grounds... or an old tired battery. The primary ground for the starter is through the bellhousing which connects to the engine block.. and the block is normally grounded to the battery negative cable at the motor mount nut under the AC compressor. Clean those up and it should crank right over

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom