2F manifold gasket on 1F engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ordered a manifold gasket for my 1F engine from Advance Auto. Received the part complete with 2 heat riser gaskets for a 2F.
Invoice shows "1F manifold gasket". The gasket fits over the studs but just looks way too big for the area it has to cover.
Is the same gasket used for both engines or are they 2 distinctly different parts?

Also... There is a threaded hole in the cylinder head at each end the end of the exhaust manifold.
Nothing was in these holes on my truck. Currently there are 6 studs in the head for the manifolds.
It looks like these would be for 2 more threaded studs for bolting on the manifolds but there is no corresponding flange at the ends of the exhaust manifold to torque a nut against.
What is supposed to be in these holes?

Pics? There should be bolts at each end of the manifold. Look closely at your manifold. Does it look like there was once a small ear (with a bolt hole) on each end that has broken off?

What year F engine?

Manifold gasket

The serial number dates the engine to Feb or Mar 1972. I assumed there had been flanges on the ends of the manifold for 2 more studs + nuts and they had been broken off. My original manifold had a crack in it and I bought a used 1972 replacement, (thanks lccruiser). The "new" one also has no flanges on the ends. It looks like nothing has broken off, this is the way they are. This is not the greatest photo (old cracked manifold), threaded hole shown in the extreme upper right corner.
001.jpg

CCOT shows 2 distinct separate parts, 1F gasket with rectangular openings, 2F gasket with rounded openings.
JT Outfitters shows 1 universal part with rounded openings like the 2F gasket and like the Advance Auto part I received.

I am now thinking I need the specific 1F gasket because the rounded openings don't leave much clamp area and this thing would be a pain to replace later.

The gaskets are different for 1F and 2F manifolds. Because the manifolds are different. And the early Fs (pre 1968) were different still. Just replaced mine ('74 with 1.5F). Since this isn't a job you'll do very often, you're better off returning whatever Advance sent you and buying a Toyota gasket. With the discount (and free shipping) you can get from the Toyota parts vendors who support this forum, the cost will be about the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom